Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Duke Energy prefers meeting North Carolina carbon target by 2035, but regulators have final say -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Duke Energy prefers meeting North Carolina carbon target by 2035, but regulators have final say
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:16:14
RALEIGH,Burley Garcia N.C. (AP) — Duke Energy Corp. offered Tuesday updated proposals on how it would meet mandated greenhouse gas emissions reductions in North Carolina through increasing solar and wind power supplies and replacing outgoing coal-fired plants with new nuclear and hydrogen technologies.
A landmark 2021 law directed the North Carolina Utilities Commission to create an ongoing plan by which the state’s electric public utilities — essentially Duke Energy Carolinas and Duke Energy Progress — would reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 70% by 2030 as compared with 2005 levels. The law also directs net-zero emissions by 2050.
The law does allow the panel to delay the 70% carbon dioxide reduction goal well beyond 2030 in the interest of protecting electric grid supplies or if it should authorize nuclear and wind-generation construction.
With these exceptions and other principles in mind, Duke Energy executives said their plan going to the commission later this week but made public late Tuesday says the utility favors reaching the target in 2035.
The company said it has already reduced emissions by 46% compared with 2005. But a five-year deferral in meeting the standard is sure to bring opposition from the utility’s critics.
“We believe that (the 2035 target) is the most reliable and most affordable pathway for North Carolinians,” Duke Energy North Carolina President Kendal Bowman said in an interview. But Bowman added it is ultimately up to the commission to determine “the pace and the resource mix for North Carolina’s clean energy transition.”
The commission entered its initial carbon plan order last December after getting proposals from Duke Energy and input from environmental groups and electricity consumers earlier in the year.
Unlike Duke’s initial proposal that proposed several different portfolio options, the seven-member panel chosen by Gov. Roy Cooper instead simply directed the utility to carry out activity to generate electricity, and backed Duke’s plan to retire fully its coal-fired fleet by 2035.
The law tells the commission to update its plan every two years, and the Duke subsidiaries’ “Carolinas Resource Plan” begins that process, with public hearings anticipated next spring.
Charlotte-based Duke, whose two subsidiaries serve 3.7 million customers in North Carolina, offered to the commission Tuesday three portfolio mixes that respectively would meet the 70% reduction target by 2030, 2033 and 2035.
Each would raise customer power bills, according to the utility’s projections, with the 2035 portfolio costing the least monetarily. For example, the filing says that the most aggressive portfolio — meeting the 70% standard by 2030 — would add another $60 to an average monthly residential customer bill by 2033 and $70 by 2038. By meeting the standard by 2035, similar bills would go up by $35 by 2033 and $55 by 2038.
Duke’s recommended 2035 portfolio includes a “near-term action plan” that would build up additional solar and wind generation and provide more electricity storage in batteries by the early 2030s.
The company also would plan to retrofit its Roxboro, Marshall and Belews Creek coal-fired plants with new technologies.
By 2032, the Roxboro and Marshall plants would shift to using natural gas that runs through turbines, generating electricity. But those plants also would be able to use hydrogen to produce energy.
At Belews Creek, which is already a coal and natural-gas fired plant, the utility proposes building an “advanced nuclear” plant at the site that by 2035. These operations are smaller and more efficient than traditional nuclear reactors.
Duke Energy contends that its preferred portfolio best addresses the state’s growing population and industries, along with environmental mandates.
“The plan is balancing those objectives that allow us to both retire the coal and meet that load growth in a way that’s affordable for customers,” said Glen Snider, the utility’s managing director of integrated resource planning and analytics.
Tuesday’s proposal also would seek to increase the utility’s electricity reserves to respond to peak demand times, Snider said.
The proposal follows unprecedented rolling blackouts last Christmas Eve in Duke’s North Carolina coverage area that was blamed in part on extreme cold, malfunctioning plant equipment and the inability to buy power on the regional transmission system.
The 2035 portfolio also would increase generation at a Duke’s hydroelectric plant in Oconee County, South Carolina, which serves Duke customers in both states. Duke Energy said the same plan was filed Tuesday with South Carolina regulators, who will examine it separately.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Wrestling icon Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after former employee files sex abuse lawsuit
- Woman detained after series of stabbings and pedestrians hit by a vehicle in Washington suburbs
- King Charles III is admitted to a hospital for a scheduled prostate operation
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Sydney Sweeney explains infamous 'Euphoria' hot tub scene: 'Disgusting'
- Dominican judge orders conditional release of rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine in domestic violence case
- Airstrikes in central Gaza kill 15 overnight while fighting intensifies in the enclave’s south
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Airstrikes in central Gaza kill 15 overnight while fighting intensifies in the enclave’s south
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- After 53 years, Baltimore is again a gateway to the Super Bowl as AFC championship game host
- Dope ropes, THC Doritos reflect our patchwork pot laws and kids can pay the price, experts say
- Coco Gauff eliminated from Australian Open in semifinal loss to Aryna Sabalenka
- 'Most Whopper
- CIA Director William Burns to travel to Europe for fourth round of Gaza hostage talks
- How tiny, invasive ants spewed chaos that killed a bunch of African buffalo
- 'In the Summers,' 'Didi' top Sundance awards. Here are more movies we loved.
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
DJ Rick Buchanan Found Decapitated in Memphis Home
Family of elderly woman killed by alligator in Florida sues retirement community
A private prison health care company accused of substandard care is awarded new contract in Illinois
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Why Fans Think Megan Thee Stallion’s New Song Reignited Feud With Nicki Minaj
Rescues at sea, and how to make a fortune
Vince McMahon accused of sex trafficking, assault of former WWE employee he paid for NDA