Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Investigators pore over evidence from the home of alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer as search ends -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:Investigators pore over evidence from the home of alleged Gilgo Beach serial killer as search ends
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:01:20
NEW YORK (AP) — An intense police search of the Long Island home of Rex Heuermann is TradeEdge Exchangenow complete, authorities said Tuesday as they ended a 12-day hunt for evidence that involved ripping up the yard and the discovery of basement vault containing hundreds of weapons kept by the man accused of killing at least three women more than a decade ago.
At a press conference outside the Massapequa Park home where Heuermann lived with his wife and two kids, Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said police had found a “tremendous amount of information” during their search.
He declined to describe the bulk of the material, but said there was not a “singular piece of evidence” that jumped out to him.
Other news Excavator seen digging in backyard of man charged in Gilgo Beach killings Investigators have been digging in the yard at the Long Island home of Rex Heuermann. The New York architect was charged earlier this month with killing at least three women and burying their remains on a remote stretch of beach highway. He came face to face with an alleged serial killer. 12 years later, his tip helped crack the case As police comb through the home of a man charged in a string of serial killings in New York, one witness is frustrated it took so long to solve the crime.The search turned up at least 279 weapons kept inside a thick basement vault large enough for a person to walk into, Tierney said. Police took boxes of additional evidence from the house, which he described as a “very cluttered environment.”
An effort in recent days to dig up the backyard in search of possible clues about where the murders were committed did not yield any “large items of evidence,” he added.
A coalition of law enforcement agencies have been pouring over the property since July 14th, when Heuermann was arrested and charged with killing three women – Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Costello, and Megan Waterman – and dumping their bodies along a remote stretch of coastal highway near Long Island’s Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago. Prosecutors identified him as the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Heuermann, who worked as an architect in Manhattan, has denied the charges through his lawyer.
The killings, all of which involved women engaged in sex work, happened while Heuermann’s family members were out of town, according to court papers. There is no indication his wife or children had knowledge of the crimes, Tierney said.
During the search, police used a scanning technology to identify “disturbances” in the ground outside Heuermann’s property, Tierney said. An excavator dug up the yard, and investigators with shovels could be seen scraping through freshly upturned earth.
Police were also seen pulling a large doll encased in glass and a portrait of a woman with a bruise on her face from the house. All of the material recovered from the house will soon be tested for DNA and blood samples that may be relevant to the case.
“We won’t know exactly what we have for quite some time, just given the sheer volume of evidence that was taken,” Tierney said.
The end of the search comes as police in Las Vegas and South Carolina are beginning their own investigations into whether the suspect may have been connected to any unresolved cases. Heuermann owns a timeshare in Las Vegas and planned to retire in a remote area of South Carolina, where his brother currently lives.
Tierney declined to discuss specifics in the other cases on Tuesday, but noted the investigation “is not limited to New York state.”
Heuermann is due back in court on August 1st.
veryGood! (22)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Iran says an Israeli strike in Syria killed 2 Revolutionary Guard members while on advisory mission
- Chinese developer Evergrande risking liquidation if creditors veto its plan for handling huge debts
- What’s Next for S Club After Their World Tour
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Authorities identify suspect in killing of 3 homeless men in Los Angeles
- Jim Harbaugh set for $1.5 million in bonuses after Michigan beats Iowa for Big Ten title
- In Mexico, a Japanese traditional dancer shows how body movement speaks beyond culture and religion
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- US military affirms it will end live-fire training in Hawaii’s Makua Valley
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Pottery Barn's Holiday Sale Is Up To 50% Off, With Finds Starting At Just $8
- Italy reportedly refused Munich museum’s request to return ancient Roman statue bought by Hitler
- Who voted to expel George Santos? Here's the count on the House expulsion resolution
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Waiting for water: It's everywhere in this Colombian city — except in the pipes
- Widow of French serial killer who preyed on virgins admits to all the facts at trial
- Stephen Colbert suffers ruptured appendix; Late Show episodes canceled as he recovers
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Travis Kelce stats: How Chiefs TE performs with, without Taylor Swift in attendance
Former prep school teacher going back to prison for incident as camp counselor
Search for military personnel continues after Osprey crash off coast of southern Japan
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
'We want her to feel empowered': 6-year-old from New Jersey wows world with genius level IQ
Strong earthquake that sparked a tsunami warning leaves 1 dead amid widespread panic in Philippines
Israel says more hostages released by Hamas as temporary cease-fire holds for 7th day