Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Judge raises mental health concern about man held in New Year’s Eve weekend gunfire near Vegas Strip -Capitatum
Chainkeen|Judge raises mental health concern about man held in New Year’s Eve weekend gunfire near Vegas Strip
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:29:30
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A California man accused of firing dozens of gunshots from upper floors of a condominium-hotel near the Las Vegas Strip the morning before New Year’s Eve had his bail set at $500,Chainkeen000 on Wednesday.
Jon Roger Letzkus appears to be mentally unstable and “what he is alleged to have done in our community is incredibly dangerous,” Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa said, citing reports to the court following his arrest.
Standing before the judge in shackles, Letzkus, 45, told Saragosa that he “more or less” understood the more than 70 felony charges against him.
Police said no one was found injured by gunfire but nearby buildings were damaged a little before 6 a.m. Sunday at Signature Towers — a three-building complex that is part of the MGM Grand resort east of Las Vegas Boulevard. Police said Letzkus was found and arrested almost five hours later.
Prosecutor Erika Mendoza told the judge on Wednesday that Letzkus admitted firing shots and that the unit he stayed in was severely damaged by “indiscriminate” gunfire and flooding. Mendoza said MGM Resorts estimated damage at more than $100,000.
The judge rejected a bid by Letzkus’ court-appointed lawyer, Dallas Anselmo, to set a minimal bail of $5,000 with electronic location monitoring. Anselmo declined to comment later outside the courtroom.
Records show Letzkus owns property in San Diego and Oregon, and gambling news websites show he has competed in online poker tournaments since at least 2013.
Saragosa cited reports to the court that Letzkus was estranged from his wife and the subject of a court restraining order in California, and that he told officials he was fearful of his parents, said his spouse was “out to get him,” and had hallucinations and delusions.
Saragosa said she was left with “a picture of someone who is mentally unstable, unpredictable.”
Letzkus will have to declare his money source if he posts bail, the judge said, and will have to stay in the Las Vegas area on high-level electronic monitoring ahead of a preliminary hearing Jan. 17.
Police said it appeared that shots were fired from a balcony about halfway up one of the three 38-story Signature Towers buildings, and that the first officers to arrive on Sunday heard gunfire.
Mendoza said Wednesday that people in nearby buildings pinpointed the balcony where shots were fired.
Inside, police did not immediately find Letzkus, but reported recovering a handgun and ammunition.
The incident raised concerns about crowd security ahead of New Year’s Eve events including fireworks that officials said were expected to draw well more than 300,000 people to the Strip and downtown Las Vegas.
Police quickly said Sunday that it appeared Letzkus acted alone and that the incident was not terrorism.
All but two of the 73 charges against Letzkus allege illegal discharge of a firearm. The others accuse him of destroying property and illegally possessing a gun.
Sunday’s gunfire happened within walking distance of a site on the Strip where a gunman in a high-rise hotel rained bullets into an outdoor concert crowd in October 2017, killing 60 people and wounding hundreds in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. That shooter killed himself before police reached him.
Signature Towers is also near the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where last month an unemployed professor shot and killed three professors and critically wounded a fourth in a business school building before being shot and killed by police near the campus student union.
veryGood! (71335)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- 2023 Coachella & Stagecoach Packing Guide: Necklaces, Rings, Body Chains, & More to Complete Your Outfit
- Texas sues Meta, saying it misused facial recognition data
- Tyler Cameron Reveals He Only Had $200 in the Bank When He Dated Gigi Hadid
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Todd Chrisley’s Son Kyle Chrisley Arrested for Aggravated Assault in Tennessee
- Opinion: Sea shanties written for the digital age
- Tyler Cameron Reveals He Only Had $200 in the Bank When He Dated Gigi Hadid
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Tesla disables video games on center touch screens in moving cars
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Moonbin, member of K-pop group Astro, dies at age 25
- Welsh soccer club Wrexham, owned by Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, promoted after winning title
- 'Garbage trends' clog the internet — and they may be here to stay
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- TikTok is driving book sales. Here are some titles #BookTok recommends
- Russia invades Ukraine as explosions are heard in Kyiv and other cities
- Wicked Has a New Release Date—And Its Sooner Than You Might Think
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Bachelor Nation's Hannah Godwin Teases Secret Location for Wedding to Dylan Barbour
Kronos hack will likely affect how employers issue paychecks and track hours
Jonathan Van Ness Honors Sweet Queer Eye Alum Tom Jackson After His Death
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Inside Superman & Lois' Whirlwind of Replacing Jordan Elsass With Michael Bishop
Whodunit at 'The Afterparty' plus the lie of 'Laziness'
Explorers locate WWII ship sunk with over 1,000 Allied POWs