Current:Home > My3 former New Mexico State basketball violated school sexual harassment policies, according to report -Capitatum
3 former New Mexico State basketball violated school sexual harassment policies, according to report
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:01:21
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Three former New Mexico State men’s basketball players violated school sexual harassment policies, according to an investigation conducted by an independent contractor hired by the university to review sexual harassment allegations, a local newspaper reported.
The Las Cruces Sun-News reported Wednesday that it obtained a copy of the investigation report completed for the university’s Office of Institutional Equity. According to the report, the three players violated school Title IX policies regarding sexual harassment, fondling and conduct resulting in a hostile environment and interferes with a victim’s academic or work performance.
The former players and other parties have a right to appeal the determination. It was not immediately clear Thursday if any appeals had been filed.
The independent contractor wrote in the notice of determination that the former players’ conduct would have warranted expulsion had they still be subject to NMSU jurisdiction.
The school’s basketball program was thrust into the spotlight last year as the season was marred first by a deadly shooting on a rival campus after a New Mexico State basketball player was ambushed in retaliation for a brawl that broke out in the stands at a football game weeks earlier. Then came a hazing scandal that ultimately forced the school to revamp the basketball program and begin a campaign to ensure nothing like it would happen again.
University officials reiterated Thursday that since the allegations surfaced, NMSU launched multiple investigations, canceled the remainder of the previous basketball season, terminated the previous head coach, and started putting safeguards in place.
“We now have a completely new coaching staff and a completely different group of student-athletes in place, and we look forward to them representing this university with integrity,” university spokesperson Justin Bannister said in a statement.
In June, New Mexico State agreed to pay $8 million to settle a lawsuit involving two basketball players who said teammates sexually assaulted them.
In their lawsuit, Deuce Benjamin and Shak Odunewu described being ganged up on and assaulted on more than one occasion. Odunewu said that one time, after seeing Benjamin being assaulted, he asked a coach to do something, and the coach responded by laughing and asking, “What do you want me to do about it?”
Benjamin went to campus police after one of the assaults, which led to the abrupt cancellation of the 2022-23 season and the firing of then-coach Greg Heiar.
The Associated Press normally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault, but Benjamin and Odunewu had both agreed to let their names be used in both the lawsuit and subsequent media interviews.
A report issued earlier this year as part of the school’s investigation noted that two instances of possible Title IX violations had been reported to the Office of Institutional Equity involving members of the basketball team. The first was when the office received a phone call in early January. The second came after Benjamin went to New Mexico State University police in February alleging multiple instances that were described as hazing at the time.
Joleen Youngers, who represented the Benjamin family in the lawsuit, told the Sun-News that the Title IX notice of determination vindicated the lawsuit.
“This wasn’t just hazing,” Youngers said. “That view was supported by the hearing officer’s evaluation.”
The notice stated that the three former players were found to have routinely “humbled” a fellow player by forcing them to pull down their pants and perform tasks in view of fellow players, managers and other onlookers. The notice also outlines nonconsensual touching by the former players.
The state attorney general’s office also continues to look into possible criminal charges in the case.
veryGood! (1242)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Amazon warehouse workers in Alabama vote for second time in union effort
- 2022 will be a tense year for Facebook and social apps. Here are 4 reasons why
- Khloe Kardashian Shares First Look at Her Son’s Face in Sweet Post For Baby Daddy Tristan Thompson
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Free People's Daisy Jones & The Six Collection Is Here With the Cutest Vintage-Inspired Looks
- When it comes to love and logins, some exes keep sharing passwords
- This Treasure Map Leads Straight to the Cast of The Goonies Then and Now
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Nearly $15 million of gold and valuables stolen in heist from Toronto's Pearson Airport
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Ukraine says government websites and banks were hit with denial of service attack
- Khloe Kardashian Shares First Look at Her Son’s Face in Sweet Post For Baby Daddy Tristan Thompson
- Kevin Roose: How can we stay relevant in an increasingly automated workforce?
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- With King Charles' coronation just days away, poll finds 70% of young Brits not interested in royal family
- Why Women Everywhere Love Drew Barrymore's Flower Beauty & Beautiful Kitchen Lines
- Send in the clones: Using artificial intelligence to digitally replicate human voices
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Cheryl Burke Reveals Her Thoughts on Dating Again After Matthew Lawrence Split
A look at King Charles III's car collection, valued at $15 million
Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield Will Make a Marvelous Pairing Co-Starring in This New Movie
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Korres, Nudestix, Belif, and More
A cyberattack in Albuquerque forces schools to cancel classes
Security experts race to fix critical software flaw threatening industries worldwide