Current:Home > MarketsJudge rejects an 11th-hour bid to free FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried during his trial -Capitatum
Judge rejects an 11th-hour bid to free FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried during his trial
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 10:07:21
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge on Thursday closed the door on FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s hopes to be free during his trial, although he extended the hours that the cryptocurrency peddler can meet with his lawyers in a federal courthouse.
At a hearing, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan rejected a request by Bankman-Fried’s lawyers to free their client so he could better prepare his defense against charges that he defrauded cryptocurrency investors.
Bankman-Fried, 31, faces the start of his trial Tuesday in Manhattan. He has pleaded not guilty.
His lawyer, Mark Cohen, told Kaplan that he cannot meaningfully confer with his client as long as Bankman-Fried is jailed at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.
And he insisted that there was no risk that Bankman-Fried would flee, prompting Kaplan to interrupt him.
“The closer we get to trial, the more I’m wondering about that,” Kaplan said. “Your client, if there is conviction, could be looking at a very long sentence. If things begin to look bleak — maybe he feels that now — if that were to happen and if he had the opportunity, maybe the time would come that he would seek to flee.”
Kaplan revoked Bankman-Fried’s $250 million bond last month after concluding that Bankman-Fried had tried to influence potential trial witnesses.
Since he was brought to the United States last December from the Bahamas, Bankman-Fried had been required to stay at his parent’s Palo Alto, California, home with severely limited access to electronics.
Prosecutors say he intentionally deceived customers and investors to enrich himself and others while playing a central role in the company’s multibillion-dollar collapse after the equivalent of a bank run.
Kaplan said Bankman-Fried has had adequate time to prepare for trial in the more than seven months when he had unlimited access to evidence turned over by prosecutors and as a result of “extraordinary” measures taken at the federal jail to enable him to work on his defense.
And he said the case against him was “by no means unique” in presenting challenges for reviewing evidence. He noted that some drug conspiracy cases involve hundreds of thousands of hours of audio and surveillance tapes, often in foreign languages.
However, the judge said he wanted to make every effort to accommodate the defendant’s concerns and would thus order that he be brought to the courthouse at 7 a.m. on some days to work with his lawyers prior to the start of the trial day several hours later.
The trial is expected to last up to six weeks.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Jacoby Jones, a star of Baltimore’s most recent Super Bowl title run, has died at age 40
- Angel Reese's double-double streak snapped in Sky's loss to Liberty
- NBA Cup draw reveals six, five-team groups for 2024-25 in-season tournament
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Euro 2024: Lamine Yamal, Jude Bellingham among players to watch in Spain vs. England final
- How Kathy Bates' gender-flipped 'Matlock' is legal 'mastermind'
- When is Wimbledon men's final? Date, time, TV for Carlos Alcaraz vs. Novak Djokovic
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- 'Dr. Ruth' Westheimer dies at age 96 after decades of distributing frank advice about sex
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Jury in Alec Baldwin Rust shooting trial sent home early
- Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco Reveal Who Said I Love You First in Cute Video
- Acclaimed video artist Bill Viola dies at 73, created landmark `Tristan und Isolde’ production
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Prince Harry accepts Pat Tillman service award at ESPYs after Mary Tillman's objections
- Video: Baby red panda is thriving in New York despite being abandoned by mother
- Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Map shows states where COVID levels are high or very high as summer wave spreads
The Secret Service is investigating how a gunman who shot and injured Trump was able to get so close
Heartbroken Olivia Munn Details Bond With Shannen Doherty Over Cancer Battles
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
SUV carrying 5 people lands in hot, acidic geyser at Yellowstone National Park
Delta Air Lines adopts new rules for flight attendant uniforms after Palestinian pin flap
Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte Ace Wimbledon 2024 During Rare Public Outing