Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Defendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments -Capitatum
Algosensey|Defendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:44:24
LANSING,Algosensey Mich. (AP) — One of 16 Michigan Republicans accused of taking part in a fake elector scheme filed a motion Tuesday asking a judge to dismiss charges after the state attorney general said the group had been “brainwashed” and truly believed that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election.
All 16 are facing eight criminal charges, including forgery and conspiracy to commit election forgery, that were first announced in July by state Attorney General Dana Nessel. Investigators allege that they met following the 2020 election and signed a document falsely stating they were Michigan’s “duly elected and qualified electors.”
President Joe Biden won the state by nearly 155,000 votes, a result that was confirmed by a GOP-led state Senate investigation in 2021. Michigan is one of seven states where false Electoral College certificates were submitted declaring Trump the winner, despite confirmed results showing he had lost.
On Sept. 18, Nessel, a Democrat, told a liberal group during a virtual event that the false electors had been “brainwashed” and “genuinely” believed Trump won in Michigan’.
“They legit believe that,” Nessel said, according to the video first reported by The Detroit News.
Nessel also said that Ingham County, where the cases will be tried, “is a very, very Democratic-leaning county.”
An attorney for one of the accused fake electors, Mari-Ann Henry, 65, said those comments “nullify the government’s entire case” and the charges should be thrown out.
George MacAvoy Brown, an attorney for Henry, said in a statement that the charges require proof that Henry “intended to cheat or deceive someone” and that Nessel’s comments show that wasn’t the case.
The motion for dismissal was filed in Ingham County District Court.
Danny Wimmer, a spokesperson for Nessel’s office, said in response to a request for comment that the office “will respond to the motion in our filings with the Court.”
Attorneys for others charged in the case have also been critical of Nessel’s comments. Nick Somberg, who represents former Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that they prove the charges hold “no merit” and that this is a “political case.”
In a separate court filing obtained by AP, another defendant, Amy Facchinello, claims that the charges stem from conduct that came “at the direction” of then-President Trump and other federal officers.
All 16 of the defendants have pleaded not guilty. Henry and several others, including Maddock and Kathy Berden, Michigan’s Republican national committeewoman, are scheduled to appear for a preliminary examination hearing on Oct. 12.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- AT&T offering $5 credit after outage: How to make sure that refund offer isn’t a scam
- Idaho set to execute Thomas Eugene Creech, one of the longest-serving death row inmates in the US
- Prince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Texas wildfires forces shutdown at nuclear weapon facility. Here is what we know
- 'Shogun' star and producer Hiroyuki Sanada's greatest battle was for epic authenticity
- 'The Price is Right': Is that Randy Travis in the audience of the CBS game show?
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Big Little Lies Fans: Get Your First Look at Liane Moriarty’s Next Show Apples Never Fall
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Home for Spring Break? Here's How To Make Your Staycation Feel Like a Dream Getaway
- Wendy’s says it has no plans to raise prices during the busiest times at its restaurants
- In the mood for a sweet, off-beat murder mystery? 'Elsbeth' is on the case
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Chrysler recalling more than 330,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees due to steering wheel issue
- Wendy’s says it has no plans to raise prices during the busiest times at its restaurants
- Why AP called Michigan for Biden: Race call explained
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Expert in Old West firearms says gun wouldn’t malfunction in fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin
2024 NFL draft: Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. leads top 5 wide receiver prospect list
Toyota recalls over 380,000 Tacoma trucks over increased risk of crash, safety issue
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Chiefs plan a $800 million renovation to Arrowhead Stadium after the 2026 World Cup
Chrysler recalling more than 330,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees due to steering wheel issue
ESPN apologizes for Formula 1 advertisement that drew ire of Indianapolis Motor Speedway