Current:Home > ContactMichigan football coach Jim Harbaugh responds to NCAA's investigation into sign stealing -Capitatum
Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh responds to NCAA's investigation into sign stealing
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:09:21
The Michigan football program is now under a second NCAA investigation, this time for allegedly violating rules related to sign stealing, which prohibit in-person scouting of future opponents.
The news broke Thursday in a Yahoo Sports report, then was confirmed by the Big Ten conference in a social media post. The NCAA Bylaw in question is 11.6.1, which states: “Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited.
"Late Wednesday afternoon, the Big Ten Conference and University of Michigan were notified by the NCAA that the NCAA was investigating allegations of sign stealing by the University of Michigan football program," the statement began. "The Big Ten Conference has notified Michigan State University and future opponents.
"The Big Ten Conference considers the integrity of competition to be of the utmost importance and will continue to monitor the investigation. The conference will have no further comment at this time."
The Yahoo report reads, in part, “two of Michigan's opponents this season told Yahoo Sports they became aware that Michigan knew their play signs. Sign stealing does not violate NCAA rules unless the team uses in-game, electronic equipment to relay the information to players on the field or amongst coaches. The NCAA football rule book for 2023 addresses sign stealing in a general way under a section titled Prohibited Field Equipment. It states that 'any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited.'”
Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh said he will "fully cooperate with the investigation."
"I do not have any knowledge or information regarding the University of Michigan football program illegally stealing signals, nor have I directed any staff member or others to participate in an off-campus scouting assignment," he said in a statement Thursday. "I have no awareness of anyone on our staff having done that or having directed that action."
Kim Broekhuizen, a university of Michigan spokesperson, confirmed the school had been notified by the NCAA and Big Ten of the NCAA's investigation.
"The investigation is ongoing and will not impact Saturday's game," Broekhuizen said in a statement to the Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network. "At the University of Michigan, we are committed to the highest ethical and integrity standards for all members of our community."
Harbaugh and the Wolverines were already under investigation by the NCAA for a series of Level II recruiting violations dating back to 2021, which claim Michigan coaches contacted recruits during dead periods, analysts served in on-field capacities and coaches watched players work out via Zoom.
When questioned about it, Harbaugh was said to have "misled" NCAA investigators, and he was charged with a Level I violation, the most serious of offenses.
In the summer it was reported the program and NCAA had reached a negotiated resolution for Harbaugh to serve a four-game suspension for the misconduct; however, it fell apart weeks before the season.
In response, the university suspended Harbaugh for the first three games of the 2023 campaign − Harbaugh was able to be with the team at practice throughout the week, which many believe is what prompted the NCAA to make a rule change for future suspensions − while the case is expected to be resolved in 2024.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Taylor Swift 101: From poetry to business, college classes offer insights on 'Swiftology'
- A driver fleeing New York City police speeds onto a sidewalk and injures 7 pedestrians
- Access to busy NYC airport’s international terminal restricted due to pro-Palestinian protest
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- NJ mayor says buses of migrants bound for NY are being dropped off at NJ train stations
- Mexican actor Ana Ofelia Murguía, who voiced Mama Coco in ‘Coco,’ dies at 90
- Marsha Warfield, bailiff Roz Russell on ‘Night Court,’ returns to the show that has a ‘big heart’
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, Dec. 31, 2023
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Biden administration approves emergency weapons sale to Israel, bypassing Congress
- Natalia Grace Docuseries: Why the Ukrainian Orphan Is Calling Her Adoptive Mom a Monster
- Report: Members of refereeing crew for Lions-Cowboys game unlikely to work postseason
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Wander Franco arrested in Dominican Republic after questioning, report says
- 2 men arrested in connection with Ugandan Olympic runner’s killing in Kenya, police say
- Planning to retire in 2024? 3 things you should know about taxes
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Powerful earthquakes leave at least four dead, destroy buildings along Japan’s western coast
California 10-year-old used father's stolen gun to fatally shoot boy, authorities say
An Israeli who fought Hamas for 2 months indicted for impersonating a soldier and stealing weapons
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
A Colorado mother suspected of killing 2 of her children makes court appearance in London
Elvis is in the building, along with fishmongers as part of a nautical scene for the Winter Classic
Are Kroger, Publix, Whole Foods open New Year's Day 2024? See grocery store holiday hours