Current:Home > reviewsVirginia’s Democratic members of Congress ask for DOJ probe after voters removed from rolls in error -Capitatum
Virginia’s Democratic members of Congress ask for DOJ probe after voters removed from rolls in error
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:45:09
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The Democratic members of Virginia’s congressional delegation have called on the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate after an apparent administrative error led to at least 275 people being improperly removed from the state’s voter rolls.
Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s administration acknowledged last week that it was working to address the problem, which it said stemmed from a misclassification of felony probation violations as felony convictions in data transmitted to the elections department by the state police.
In Virginia, a felony conviction automatically results in the loss of a person’s civil rights, such as the right to vote, serve on a jury, run for office and carry a firearm. The governor has the sole discretion to restore those civil rights, apart from firearm rights, which can be restored by a court.
Officials initially said the number of impacted voters was unclear; they have since said that 275 have been identified so far, all of whom will be quickly reinstated to the voter rolls.
A letter from the state’s two Democratic senators and six Democratic members of the House said the error has created a “barrier to the democratic process for these affected Virginians” with early voting already underway for the November election. It called on DOJ to look into the matter as a possible violation of the Voting Rights Act or other federal laws.
“We request immediate action by the Department of Justice to investigate how these recent removals happened and what is being done to ensure that those whose names were illegally removed from the voting rolls are informed so that they will know that they are in fact properly registered to vote in this election,” said the letter, which was sent Friday to Attorney General Merrick Garland and highlighted by some members in news releases Tuesday.
The Virginia Department of Elections said in a statement Tuesday that impacted voters will receive written notification that their registrations have been reinstated.
It also offered some pushback against the letter, saying it incorrectly claimed that voters were purged “without notice.”
“This is false. Anytime a voter’s registration is cancelled for any reason, they are mailed a written notice from their local general registrar,” the department’s statement said.
Macaulay Porter, a spokeswoman for Youngkin, said in a statement that the effort to determine which voters may have been improperly removed was ongoing.
“The governor is committed to ensuring those that are eligible, can vote,” Porter said.
Aryele Bradford, a spokesperson for the DOJ, said in an email that the department had received the letter but declined further comment.
Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police, said the agency had not been contacted by DOJ about the matter. The agency has said previously it was making changes to the data it provided the Department of Elections.
The letter was signed by U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine and Reps. Robert “Bobby” Scott, Gerry Connolly, Donald Beyer, Abigail Spanberger, Jennifer Wexton and Jennifer McClellan.
Every Virginia legislative seat is on the ballot this year.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Travis, Jason Kelce talk three-peat, LeBron, racehorses on 'New Heights' podcast
- Benny Blanco’s Persian Rug Toenail Art Cannot Be Unseen
- Will Taylor Swift attend the Chiefs game Thursday against the Ravens? What we know
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- 2 students and 2 teachers were killed at a Georgia high school. Here’s what we know about them
- US Open: Tiafoe, Fritz and Navarro reach the semifinals and make American tennis matter again
- Officials confirm 28 deaths linked to decades-long Takata airbag recall in US
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Save Up to 74% on Pants at Old Navy: $8 Shorts, $9 Leggings & More Bestsellers on Sale for a Limited Time
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Questions swirl around attempted jailbreak in Congo as families of victims demand accountability
- Biden promotes administration’s rural electrification funding in Wisconsin
- Imanaga, 2 relievers combine for no-hitter, lead Cubs over Pirates 12-0
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- US Open: Tiafoe, Fritz and Navarro reach the semifinals and make American tennis matter again
- Donald Trump’s youngest son has enrolled at New York University
- Report: Mountain Valley Pipeline test failure due to manufacturer defect, not corrosion
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Megan Thee Stallion addresses beef with Nicki Minaj: 'Don't know what the problem is'
You Have 24 Hours To Get 50% Off the Viral Benefit Fan Fest Mascara & More Sephora Deals
Ultra swimmer abandons attempt to cross Lake Michigan again
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Grandmother charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in 3-year-old granddaughter’s death
Michael Keaton Is Ditching His Stage Name for His Real Name After Almost 50 Years
College football's cash grab: Coaches, players, schools, conference all are getting paid.