Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 12:00:32
A McDonald's franchisee has agreed to pay a Pennsylvania girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit after being sexually assaulted by her manager who was a registered sex offender,Fastexy Exchange ABC News reported.
The victim started her job at the Bethel Park restaurant in October 2020 and sometime after that, Walter Garner, 41, made sexual comments and touched the victim inappropriately, according to the lawsuit . obtained by ABC News. Garner raped the victim in the restaurant's bathroom in mid-February, 2021, the records show.
“How is it that a convicted, registered sex offender is permitted to be hired to manage 14- to 17-year-old girls at a McDonald’s?” Alan Perer, the victim’s lawyer, said during a news conference Monday morning at his offices in downtown Pittsburgh. “The facts of our case are horrific.”
Texas Dairy Queen workers:Were selling meth with soft serves, police say
The victim and her parents sued McDonald’s and Rice Enterprises in September 2021, alleging that she was harassed and raped by Garner. In the lawsuit the victim claims that the defendants knew about it and that they did nothing to stop it.
Perer said Monday that it was in the best interests of the victim to settle the case because he did not want to put her through a trial.
“There is no amount of compensation to account for lost innocence and trauma,” Perer said.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald's assault and received a 10-year prison sentence.
In a statement to USA TODAY Rice Enterprises says that all of their employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, and expanded their required training to be bi-annual, In addition, the company plans to to add enhanced security measures at its restaurants.
“As soon as we were made aware of the complaint against Garner in 2021, we terminated his employment and offered our full support to the impacted employees and law enforcement investigating this case," Rice Enterprises said in the statement. "Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind.”
McDonald's USA commented on the incident.
“The events that took place in this case are deeply troubling. Everyone working under the Arches deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment or violence of any kind is completely unacceptable. We're committed to providing franchisees with the resources they need to create a safe working environment in their restaurants – including training around harassment prevention as part of McDonald's Global Brand Standards.” McDonald's USA said in a statement to USA TODAY.
Victim not the only one that reported abuse
According to a report by WPIX, Perer said multiple underage girls working at the restaurant made complaints to a manager about Garner’s inappropriate touching and advances, but no disciplinary action was taken.
“They were looking at surveillance," Perer told WPIX. "They saw he was trying to grab and fondle her in the [restaurant],”
Perer said Garner wasn’t disciplined even after that and the abuse ramped up. According to the court documents, Garner followed the victim into the bathroom and raped her. He later allegedly tried to have sex with her inside the kid’s play area.
Another teen said Garner was trying to make advances toward her. When she told her mother, the school was contacted. The police department was then called and the investigation started.
“He remained there and continued his abuse and harassment until he was arrested. Then they fired him,” Perer said.
The owner of the franchise told WPIX they are fully cooperating with police.
“The allegations made in the lawsuit are deeply disturbing – my organization has no tolerance for sexual harassment, and we terminated the employee in question as soon as we learned about a complaint against him. While all of our employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, we’ve recently expanded our training to be bi-annual, in addition to adding enhanced security measures at our restaurants. We have offered our full support to the impacted employee and are fully cooperating with the police investigation into these allegations," the statement read.
Garner, 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan's Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
veryGood! (912)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Watch family members reunite with soldiers after 9 months of waiting
- Dozens of Climate Activists Arrested at Citibank Headquarters in New York City During Earth Week
- NFL draft attendees down for 3rd straight year. J.J. McCarthy among those who didn’t go to Detroit
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Luna County corporal is charged for his role in deadly 2023 crash while responding to a call
- Body believed to be that of trucker who went missing in November found in Iowa farm field
- School lunches are changing: USDA updates rules to limit added sugars for the first time
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Philadelphia Eagles give wide receiver A.J. Brown a record contract extension
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- NFL draft bold predictions: What surprises could be in store for first round?
- Gusts of activity underway by friends and foes of offshore wind energy projects
- Trump’s lawyers will grill ex-tabloid publisher as 1st week of hush money trial testimony wraps
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Kentucky appeals court denies Bob Baffert-trained Arkansas Derby winner Muth to enter Kentucky Derby
- New home for University of Kentucky cancer center will help accelerate research, director says
- What age are women having babies? What the falling fertility rate tells us.
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
18 indicted in alleged 2020 fake Arizona elector scheme tied to Trump, AG announces
Here’s why Harvey Weinstein’s New York rape conviction was tossed and what happens next
Suspect in fatal shooting of ex-Saints player Will Smith sentenced to 25 years in prison
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Tony Khan, son of Jaguars owner, shows up to NFL draft with neck brace. Here's why.
Nick and Aaron Carter doc announced by 'Quiet on Set' network: See the trailer
NFL draft bold predictions: What surprises could be in store for first round?