Current:Home > ScamsThe Big 3 automakers now have record offers on the table. UAW says they can do more -Capitatum
The Big 3 automakers now have record offers on the table. UAW says they can do more
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 13:52:37
In the five weeks since autoworkers first walked out at Ford, General Motors and Stellantis, the offers on the table have gotten dramatically richer.
Proposed wage increases over the 4.5-year contract began at 9% but they are now at 23% at all Big Three automakers, UAW president Shawn Fain said on Friday in his latest Facebook Live address.
In addition, Ford and GM now have improved cost of living adjustment offers, while all three automakers have offered to cut the number of years it takes to reach the top wage and to increase 401(k) retirement contributions.
But Fain said, there's still room to move.
"One thing we've been hearing over and over from these companies is how they've offered us record contracts," he said. "You know what? We agree. These are already record contracts, but they come at the end of decades of record decline. So it's not enough."
Still, Fain did not announce another expansion of the strike after last calling for 8,700 workers at a key Ford Kentucky plant to walk out.
Instead, he acknowledged the UAW auto workers who have been called on to strike under the union's plan to ramp up pressure on automakers by calling for walkouts at only some of the plants.
On social media, some members have begun to express impatience with the strike, sharing the stress that being out of work and living on the $500 a week strike pay has brought to their families.
In a message that appeared aimed at them, Fain warned against allowing the companies to fragment the members.
"Our ability to hold out, to hit the companies economically and to withhold our labor — this is our leverage and this is our path to victory," he said. "We have one tool and that's solidarity."
Offers from the automakers have gotten sweeter
Earlier in the day, GM provided details of its latest offer which also includes improvements for temporary employees, with the automaker saying they are willing to provide immediate conversion to permanent status for those with one year on the job.
In a statement, GM called the offer the most significant that it has ever proposed to the UAW, noting that the majority of the workforce would earn $84,000 a year by the end of the agreement.
"It is time for us to finish this process, get our team members back to work and get on with the business of making GM the company that will win and provide great jobs in the U.S. for our people for decades to come," the statement read.
Ford, which did not present the UAW with a new offer this week, had indicated last week that it had reached its limit on cost.
Earlier in the week, Ford executive chair Bill Ford warned that decisions made now will impact not just Ford and its ability to compete, but the future of the American automobile industry.
"Toyota, Honda, Tesla and others are loving this strike because they know the longer it goes on, the better it is for them," he said. "They will win and all of us will lose."
veryGood! (5478)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Detroit police search for suspect, motive in killing of synagogue president Samantha Woll
- Gwyneth Paltrow has new line of Goop products, prepares for day 'no one will ever see me again'
- Titans trade 2-time All-Pro safety Kevin Byard to Eagles, AP source says
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- FYI, Sephora Has The Best Holiday Mini Value Sets From Cult-Fave Beauty Brands
- CVS pulls certain cold medicines from shelves. Here's why
- Missing non-verbal Florida woman found in neighbor's garage 6 days after disappearance
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 'Full of life:' 4-year-old boy killed by pit bull while playing in Detroit yard
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Kim Kardashian Gives a Sweet Shoutout to Kourtney Kardashian After Sister Misses Her Birthday Dinner
- Detroit synagogue president found murdered outside her home
- At least 14 killed and many injured when one train hits another in central Bangladesh
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Trump to seek presidential immunity against E. Jean Carroll's 2019 damage claims
- Football provides a homecoming and hope in Lahaina, where thousands of homes are gone after wildfire
- Lauryn Hill postpones Philadelphia tour stop to avoid 'serious strain' on vocal cords
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
With another election cycle underway, officials aim to quell fears of voter fraud, rigging
Taylor Swift Wears Her Heart on Her Sleeve as She Cheers on Travis Kelce at Chiefs Game
Cincinnati Zoo employee hospitalized after she's bitten by highly venomous rattlesnake
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Warrant says Minnesota investigators found meth in house after gunbattle that wounded 5 officers
Andy Reid after Travis Kelce's big day: Taylor Swift 'can stay around all she wants'
35 years later, Georgia authorities identify woman whose body was found in a dumpster