Current:Home > reviewsPrincess Kate making public return amid cancer battle, per Kensington Palace -Capitatum
Princess Kate making public return amid cancer battle, per Kensington Palace
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:56:32
Princess Kate is returning to public duties following her cancer announcement in March.
Kensington Palace announced the news in a press release obtained by USA TODAY, along with a new photo of Kate, which was posted to the official Prince and Princess of Wales Instagram account.
"My treatment is ongoing and will be for a few more months. On the days I feel well enough, it is a joy to engage with school life, spend personal time on the things that give me energy and positivity, as well as starting to do a little work from home," she said in the post, thanking well-wishers "for all the kind messages of support and encouragement."
Princess Kate gave royal onlookers an update on her health, writing that she is "making good progress," while noting that "as anyone going through chemotherapy will know, there are good days and bad days."
"On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting. But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling well," she wrote in the statement.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The Princess of Wales also said she will attend Trooping the Colour, a ceremonial tradition and public celebration of King Charles III's birthday, on Saturday. She missed last week's Colonel's Review rehearsal on June 8. The event honors the reigning British monarch, although his birthdate falls on Nov. 14 each year.
"I’m looking forward to attending The King’s Birthday Parade this weekend with my family and hope to join a few public engagements over the summer, but equally knowing I am not out of the woods yet," she said in a statement posted to her Instagram account shared with Prince William.
The working royal, who has been away from official duties and out of the public eye for most of this year, is making a public comeback after announcing a private cancer battle this spring. In March, she appeared in a video message to announce her diagnosis after weeks of speculation and conspiracy theories about her whereabouts.
"I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I’ve been recovering from surgery. It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who’ve taken great care of me for which I am so grateful," she said in the video.
King Charles, Princess Kate have cancer:What they've said, what to know
Last week, Princess Kate issued a rare apology after she missed last Saturday's Colonel Review celebrations.
Who is Princess Kate?Age, family, what to know about Princess of Wales amid cancer news
The Irish Guards, a regiment of the British army, shared a letter sent by Princess Kate on X on Saturday where she wrote that she was proud of "the entire regiment ahead of the Colonel's Review and Trooping of the Colour."
"Being your colonel remains a great honor and I am very sorry that I'm unable to take the salute at this year's Colonel's Review. Please pass my apologies to the whole Regiment, however I do hope that I am able to represent you all once again very soon," she added in the letter.
She continued: "Please send my very best wishes and good luck to all involved."
In her March announcement video, she called her cancer a "huge shock" for her family, adding that she and Prince William have done "everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family." The pair are parents to three children: Princess George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5.
At the time, she said she would undergo "a course of preventive chemotherapy treatment" for undisclosed cancer.
veryGood! (163)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Jennifer Lopez says Ayo Edebiri was 'mortified' at resurfaced comments before 'SNL'
- Boy, 15, charged with murder in the fatal shooting of 3 people at an Arkansas home
- Winter storm hits Northeast, causing difficult driving, closed schools and canceled flights
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Two fired utility execs and a former top Ohio regulator plead not guilty in bribery scheme
- Inflation ran hotter than expected in January, complicating the Fed's rate decision
- 14 Movies, TV Shows and More to Indulge in If You Are Anti-Valentine's Day
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Connecticut, Purdue hold top spots as USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll gets shuffled
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Kaia Gerber Shares Why She Keeps Her Romance With Austin Butler Private
- How's your defense industry knowledge?
- Yes, a lot of people watched the Super Bowl, but the monoculture is still a myth
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Democrats seek to strengthen majority in Pennsylvania House as voters cast ballots
- Cargo train derails in West Virginia, but no injuries or spills from cars with hazardous materials
- Hallmark's When Calls the Heart galvanized an online community of millions, called Hearties
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
49ers players say they didn't know new Super Bowl overtime rules or discuss strategy
Everyone should attend 'Abbott Elementary'
The Daily Money: 'Romance scams' cost consumers $1.14b
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Tom Brady Weighs In on Travis Kelce and Andy Reid’s Tense Super Bowl Moment
Judge to proceed with hearing to consider motion to disqualify Fani Willis from Trump Georgia election case
Love Is Blind Status Check: Find Out Where All the Couples Stand Before Season 6 Premiere