Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colorado supermarket shooting suspect found competent to stand trial, prosecutors say -Capitatum
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Colorado supermarket shooting suspect found competent to stand trial, prosecutors say
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 11:06:13
The FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centerman accused of killing 10 people when he opened fire in a Boulder, Colorado grocery store in 2021 was found to be mentally competent to stand trial, prosecutors said Wednesday.
The state's Department of Human Services determined Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa "does not currently have a mental disability or developmental disability" preventing him from understanding and participating in the court process, the Boulder County District Attorney's Office said in a statement. Alissa's defense attorneys previously confirmed he had schizophrenia.
"The defendant has been deemed as restored to competency," prosecutors said in the statement.
The determination does not necessarily mean Alissa no longer has schizophrenia, but that experts think he is able to understand criminal proceedings and assist in his own defense. He was previously ruled incompetent to stand trial and moved to a state mental hospital.
Shooting left store employees, customers and a police officer dead
Alissa is charged with murder and multiple counts of attempted murder for the deaths of customers, workers and a police officer who rushed in to help in the March 22, 2021 shooting at a King Soopers store in Boulder.
Alissa is accused of opening fire at about 2:30 p.m. outside and inside the store before finally surrendering when another officer shot and injured him. Some of the charges he faces relate to endangering 26 other people there.
Eric Talley, one of the the first Boulder police officers to respond to the frantic 911 calls, was killed, along with Rikki Olds, Denny Stong, Neven Stanisic, Tralona Bartkowiak, Teri Leiker, Suzanne Fountain, Kevin Mahoney, Lynn Murray and Jody Waters. Their ages ranged from 20 to 65.
What's next in the case?
The prosecution of Alissa has been on hold since December, 2021 when a judge ruled he was incompetent for trial but said there was a reasonable chance he could be restored to competency through treatment.
The findings announced by prosecutors on Wednesday will need to be accepted by a judge, who will then schedule a preliminary hearing, the district attorney's office said.
“Our office will continue fighting for justice in this case," District Attorney Michael Dougherty in the statement.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (599)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Ayo Edebiri Shares Jennifer Lopez's Reaction to Her Apology Backstage at SNL
- Bachelor Nation's Rachel Nance Details Receiving Racist Comments on Social Media
- Hailie Jade, Eminem's daughter, ties the knot with Evan McClintock: 'Waking up a wife'
- 'Most Whopper
- What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Gemini Season, According to Your Horoscope
- 20 book-to-screen adaptations in 2024: ‘Bridgerton,’ ‘It Ends With Us,’ ’Wicked,’ more
- Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Reveals Her Boob Job Was Denied Due to Her Weight
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- 'People of the wrong race': Citi hit with racial discrimination lawsuit over ATM fees
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Storms have dropped large hail, buckets of rain and tornados across the Midwest. And more is coming.
- Connecticut’s top public defender could be fired as panel mulls punishment for alleged misconduct
- Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi killed in helicopter crash along with foreign minister, state media confirm
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Target latest retailer to start cutting prices for summer, with reductions on 5,000 items
- Can't get enough of 'Bridgerton' Season 3? Try reading the Julia Quinn books in order
- Princess Kate makes royal return with first project of 2024 amid cancer diagnosis
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Over 200,000 electric stoves from Kenmore, Frigidaire recalled after multiple fires, injuries
‘Top two’ primary election measure makes South Dakota’s November ballot
Graceland is not for sale, Elvis Presley’s granddaughter Riley Keough says in lawsuit
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Reveals Her Boob Job Was Denied Due to Her Weight
During arraignment, Capitol riot defendant defiantly predicts Trump will win election and shutter Jan. 6 criminal cases
They couldn't move their hands for years. A new device offers the promise of mobility.