Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Azerbaijan and Armenia fight for 2nd day over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Azerbaijan and Armenia fight for 2nd day over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:17
YEREVAN,Charles Langston Armenia (AP) — Explosions rocked parts of Nagorno-Karabakh early Wednesday, a day after Azerbaijani forces used heavy artillery fire on Armenian positions in the separatist region that local officials said killed or wounded scores of people.
Azerbaijan has called the artillery fire an “anti-terrorist operation” and said it will continue until the separatist government of Nagorno-Karabakh dismantles itself and “illegal Armenian military formations” surrender.
It said it is only targeting military sites, but significant damage was visible on the streets of the regional capital, Stepanakert, with shop windows blown out and vehicles punctured apparently by shrapnel.
The blasts reverberated around Stepanakert every few minutes on Wednesday morning, with some explosions in the distance and others closer to the city.
The artillery fire raised concerns that a full-scale war in the region could resume between Azerbaijan and Armenia, which for more than three decades have been locked in a struggle over the mountainous territory of Nagorno-Karabakh. The most recent heavy fighting there occurred over six weeks in 2020.
Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry announced the start of the military operation hours after it reported that four soldiers and two civilians died in land mine explosions in Nagorno-Karabakh.
The ministry did not immediately give details but said that front-line positions and the military assets of Armenia’s armed forces were being “incapacitated using high-precision weapons,” and that only legitimate military targets were being attacked.
Armenia’s Foreign Ministry, however, denied that its weapons or troops were in Nagorno-Karabakh and called reported sabotage and land mines in the region “a lie.” Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashiyan alleged that Azerbaijan’s main goal is to draw Armenia into hostilities.
Ethnic Armenian officials in Nagorno-Karabakh said in a statement that Stepanakert and other villages were “under intense shelling.” The region’s military said Azerbaijan was using aircraft, artillery and missile systems, and drones in the fighting.
Residents of Stepanakert moved to basements and bomb shelters, and the fighting cut off electricity. Food shortages persisted in the area, with limited humanitarian aid delivered Monday not distributed due to the shelling, which resumed in the evening after halting briefly in the afternoon.
Nagorno-Karabakh human rights ombudsman Geghan Stepanyan said Tuesday that 27 people, including two civilians, were killed and more than 200 others were wounded. Stepanyan earlier said one child was among those killed, and 11 children were among the injured.
The Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office said Armenian forces fired at Shusha, a city in Nagorno-Karabakh under Azerbaijan’s control, from large-caliber weapons, killing one civilian.
Neither claim could be independently verified.
Nagorno-Karabakh and sizable surrounding territories were under ethnic Armenian control since the 1994 end of a separatist war, but Azerbaijan regained the territories and parts of Nagorno-Karabakh during the 2020 fighting. That ended with an armistice placing Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh.
However, Azerbaijan alleges that Armenia has smuggled in weapons since then. The claims led to a blockade of the road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia, causing food and medicine shortages.
Thousands of protesters gathered Tuesday in central Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, blocking streets and demanding that authorities defend Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh. Some clashed with police, who reportedly used stun grenades. A total of 34 people — 16 policemen and 18 civilians — were injured in the clashes, Armenia’s Health Ministry said. About half of them continue to receive medical assistance, the ministry said.
___
Associated Press writers Jim Heintz va in Tallinn, Estonia; Aida Sultanova in London; and Siranush Sargsyan in Stepanakert contributed.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Whistleblowers outline allegations of nepotism and retaliation within Albuquerque’s police academy
- Drug shortages at highest since 2014: Chemo drugs, Wegovy, ADHD medications affected
- Skeletal remains found at home in Springfield identified as those of woman missing since 2008
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Neighbor risks life to save man, woman from house fire in Pennsylvania: Watch heroic act
- O.J. Simpson was chilling on the couch drinking beer, watching TV 2 weeks before he died, lawyer says
- Pro-Palestinian valedictorian speaks out after USC cancels speech
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Astros announce day for injured Justin Verlander's 2024 debut
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- IMF’s Georgieva says there’s ‘plenty to worry about’ despite recovery for many economies
- Family of Minnesota man shot to death by state trooper in traffic stop files civil rights lawsuit
- Rachael Ray offers advice to Valerie Bertinelli, talks new TV show and Ukraine visit
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Google fires 28 workers after office sit-ins to protest cloud contract with Israel
- 11-year-old boy killed in ATV crash in northern Maine, wardens say
- Horoscopes Today, April 17, 2024
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Gov. DeSantis signs bill requiring teaching of history of communism in Florida schools
'Bachelor' stars react to 'Golden Bachelor' divorce: 'Just two stubborn old people'
Ashanti engaged to Nelly, reveals she's pregnant after rekindling their romance
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Neighbor risks life to save man, woman from house fire in Pennsylvania: Watch heroic act
Boeing ignores safety concerns and production problems, whistleblower claims
Attorney general won’t file criminal case against LA officer in 2021 shooting that killed teen