Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-FIFA removes Indonesia as host of Under-20 World Cup after protests over Israel -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-FIFA removes Indonesia as host of Under-20 World Cup after protests over Israel
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:56:58
Indonesia was stripped of hosting rights for the Under-20 World Cup on Chainkeen ExchangeWednesday only eight weeks before the start of the tournament amid political turmoil regarding Israel's participation.
FIFA said Indonesia was removed from staging the 24-team tournament scheduled to start on May 20 "due to the current circumstances" without specifying details.
The decision followed a meeting in Doha, Qatar, between Indonesian soccer federation president Erick Thohir and Gianni Infantino, the president of FIFA, soccer's world governing body.
Israel qualified in June of last year for its first Under-20 World Cup. But the country's participation in the official draw for tournament groups, scheduled to be held Friday in Bali, provoked political opposition this month.
Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation and does not have formal diplomatic relations with Israel, while publicly supporting the Palestinian cause.
Indonesia's host status for the tournament was cast into doubt last Sunday when FIFA postponed the draw.
It is unclear who could now host the tournament, which was scheduled to be played in six stadiums in Indonesia. Argentina, which did not qualify for the tournament, is reportedly interested in hosting.
"A new host will be announced as soon as possible, with the dates of the tournament currently remaining unchanged," FIFA said.
The Indonesian soccer federation could be further disciplined by FIFA. A suspension could remove Indonesia from Asian qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. The continental qualifiers start in October.
FIFA seemed to remove all blame Wednesday from Thohir, the former president of Italian club Inter Milan — the team Infantino supports — and a former co-owner of the Philadelphia 76ers.
FIFA staff will continue to work in Indonesia in the months ahead, the governing body said, "under the leadership of President Thohir."
Thohir said as a member of FIFA, Indonesia had little choice but to accept the decision.
"I have tried my best," he said in a statement. "After delivering a letter from President Joko Widodo and discussing it at length with the President of FIFA, Gianni Infantino, we must accept FIFA's decision to cancel the holding of the event that we are both looking forward to."
He said although he'd conveyed all the concerns and hopes of Indonesia's president, soccer lovers as well as the players from the Under-20 Indonesian national team, "FIFA considered that the current situation cannot be continued."
Soccer and public authorities in Indonesia agreed to FIFA's hosting requirements in 2019 before being selected to stage the 2021 edition of the Under-20 World Cup. The coronavirus pandemic forced the tournament to be postponed for two years.
But Indonesian President Joko Widodo said Tuesday evening that his administration objected to Israel's participation. He told citizens that the country agreed to host before knowing Israel would qualify.
However, the removal of the hosting rights by FIFA has raised concerns within Indonesian soccer.
Arya Sinulingga, an executive committee member of Indonesia's national soccer association PSSI, was concerned about further repercussions.
"This is a sign that we are not able to carry out what has been asked (by FIFA) ... among other things that there should be no discrimination," Sinulingga said in an interview with a local television, "What we are most worried about right now is that we will be ostracized from international events, especially from world soccer activities."
He said that "it can happen and it will be very detrimental to us in many ways."
"We have something that is bigger than losing our right to host the Under-20 World Cup. We have to face it in the near future, and that could effect the future of our sport," Sinulingga said, "We are now fighting not to get sanctioned, but people should know ... this is too hard."
Israel qualified for the tournament by reaching the semifinals of the Under-19 European Championship. The team went on to lose to England in that final.
Israel plays in Europe as a member of UEFA after leaving the Asian Football Confederation in the 1970s for political and security reasons.
FIFA bills the men's Under-20 World Cup as "the tournament of tomorrow's superstars."
Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi and Paul Pogba are previous winners of the official player of the tournament award, and Erling Haaland was the top scorer at the 2019 edition.
- In:
- Israel
- Indonesia
- World Cup
- Soccer
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- After Dylan Mulvaney controversy, Bud Light aims for comeback this Super Bowl
- How niche brands got into your local supermarket
- What you should know if you’re about to fly on a Boeing Max 9
- Average rate on 30
- Georgia lawmakers, in support of Israel, pass bill that would define antisemitism in state law
- Kentucky House passes crime bill with tougher sentences, including three-strikes penalty
- WWE's Vince McMahon accused of sexual assault and trafficking by former employee. Here are 5 lawsuit details.
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Wisconsin Assembly approves a bill mandating a limit on the wolf population, sends proposal to Evers
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Music student from China convicted of harassing person over democracy leaflet
- Senate immigration talks continue as divisions among Republicans threaten to sink deal
- Drew Barrymore cries after Dermot Mulroney surprises her for 'Bad Girls' reunion
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Crystal Hefner Details Traumatic and Emotionally Abusive Marriage to Hugh Hefner
- Raheem Morris hired as head coach by Atlanta Falcons, who pass on Bill Belichick
- Man denied bail in Massachusetts crash that killed officer and utility worker
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
How Kobe Bryant Spread the Joy of Being a Girl Dad
Apple will open iPhone to alternative app stores, lower fees in Europe to comply with regulations
West Virginia GOP majority pushes contentious bills arming teachers, restricting bathrooms, books
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Lions vs. 49ers NFC championship game weather forecast: Clear skies and warm temperatures
'Right place at the right time': Pizza delivery driver’s call leads to rescue of boy in icy pond
GM’s Cruise robotaxi service targeted in Justice Department inquiry into San Francisco collision