Current:Home > MarketsGM autoworkers keep voting 'no' on record contract, imperiling deal -Capitatum
GM autoworkers keep voting 'no' on record contract, imperiling deal
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 02:26:10
When United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain announced on October 30 that the union had reached a contract deal with General Motors, he praised the workers for their relentless fight.
"The result is one of the most stunning contract victories since the sit-down strikes in the 1930s," Fain told workers.
But not all rank-and-file workers were convinced.
Their dissatisfaction has been on full display as they've gone to their union halls to vote on whether to ratify the deal — a deal that includes raises of 25%, cost-of-living allowances tied to inflation, increased retirement contributions and other improvements.
As of Wednesday morning, a significant share of GM workers had voted no on the record contracts, including a majority at some of the automaker's largest plants: Flint Assembly in Michigan, Spring Hill Manufacturing in Tennessee, Wentzville Assembly in Missouri, and Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana.
Results from additional GM plants are still pending.
Ford workers more positive on contract; voting continues at Stellantis
At Ford, 66% of workers had voted in favor of a similar deal as of Wednesday morning, according to a vote tracker on the UAW's website, though 55% of workers at Ford's largest plant, its Kentucky Truck Plant, voted no.
"There were a lot of gains," says Kentucky Truck Plant worker Jenn Thompson, who voted no. "But there were just a few things that I would have liked to have seen in this contract that didn't make it," including retiree health care.
Voting at Stellantis was last to get underway. Workers at Stellantis' Toledo Assembly Complex, which builds Jeeps, are voting today, with many more votes still to come.
A majority of UAW workers at each company must vote yes before a deal is ratified. It's possible that one carmaker's contract could be ratified while another is rejected. Fain has repeatedly told workers that they are the highest authority in the union.
"We send this contract to you because we know it breaks records. We know it will change lives. But what happens next is up to you all," Fain told workers after a deal was struck at Ford.
If a contract is voted down, negotiators return to the bargaining table. This is not an uncommon occurrence, but outcomes are uncertain. Earlier this fall, union workers at Mack Trucks rejected a tentative agreement and went out on strike. According to a UAW memo, the company rejected the union's proposals and declared an impasse. Workers are voting again this week on essentially the same contract, which Mack Trucks called its last, best and final offer.
In 2021, UAW workers at John Deere twice voted down contracts their union leadership brought to them before finally approving an enhanced deal.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Taliban orders beauty salons in Afghanistan to close despite UN concern and rare public protest
- Cambodia’s Hun Sen, Asia’s longest serving leader, says he’ll step down and his son will take over
- Russian fighter jet damages U.S. drone flying over Syria, U.S. military says
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Biden’s dog Commander has bitten Secret Service officers 10 times in four months, records show
- Ethan Slater’s Former Costar Reacts to “Unexpected” Ariana Grande Romance
- Where the 2024 Republican presidential candidates stand on China
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- London jury acquits Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges on his birthday
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Trump’s Former Head of the EPA Has Been a Quiet Contributor to Virginia’s Exit From RGGI
- Check Out the Best Men's Deals at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale on Clothing, Grooming, Shoes & More
- Department of Education opens investigation into Harvard University's legacy admissions
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Education Department investigating Harvard's legacy admission policies
- US heat wave eyes Northeast amid severe storms: Latest forecast
- Lionel Messi scores two goals, leads Inter Miami to 4-0 win over Atlanta United
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
NatWest Bank CEO ousted after furor over politician Nigel Farage’s bank account
Bronny James, LeBron James' oldest son and USC commit, hospitalized after cardiac arrest
UK billionaire Joe Lewis, owner of Tottenham soccer team, charged with insider trading in US
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Meet Miles the Music Kid, the musical genius wowing celebrities
13 Reasons Why’s Tommy Dorfman Reveals She Was Paid Less Than $30,000 for Season One
An alliance of Indian opposition parties — called INDIA — joins forces to take on Modi