Current:Home > NewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:"Jeopardy!" game show to reuse questions, contestants during WGA strike -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:"Jeopardy!" game show to reuse questions, contestants during WGA strike
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:36:23
The SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterHollywood writer's strike is forcing "Jeopardy!" now in its 40th season, to make adjustments to its show after producers acknowledged the original plan was "compromised" by the historic labor movement.
Lacking sufficient fresh material for a new season, "Jeopardy!" will recycle both old material and contestants, executive producer Michael Davies revealed on the most recent episode of the "Inside Jeopardy!" podcast.
He called it the "most optimal solution," given the circumstances and the fact that the show's original plan was scuttled.
He explained the impetus for not hosting first-time trivia competitors in the midst of the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike.
"I also believe principally that it would not be fair to have new contestants making their first appearance on the Alex Trebek stage doing it with non-original material or a combination of non-original material and material that was written pre-strike," he said.
A second chance
The show's producers have found a workaround it hopes will be a hit with both contestants and viewers. It will proceed with a new season of the show featuring contestants from season 37 who lost their first games. Normally, first-round losers would not be given a second chance to appear on stage.
"We decided that really we needed to invite back and give a second chance in general to players who probably thought that their chance to come back and play on the Alex Trebek stage had gone forever," Davies continued.
The returning contestants will compete on a combination of material written before the strikes as well as material "that is being redeployed from multiple, multiple seasons of the show," Davies said.
He announced an additional major change unrelated to the WGA strike. The prize purses for second and third place finishers will increase by $1,000 each.
- Hollywood strikes taking a toll on California's economy
- Impact of Hollywood strikes being felt across the pond
- Why are Hollywood actors on strike?
"So third-place prize will move up to $2,000, the second place prize will move up to $3,000," Davies said. The move had been a work in progress he added, given that contestants have to pay their own way to appear on the show.
"We understand that post-COVID, travel costs have increased. We understand how complicated funding a trip to 'Jeopardy! is for many contestants within our community, and we think this is way about time that we did this," Davies said.
"Celebrity Jeopardy!" will return with both brand new material and contestants in September, Davies added, given that trivia questions were completed before writers went on strike. It features all new original material, and the show is currently booking guests.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- The No. 2 leader in the North Carolina House is receiving treatment for cancer
- Anchorage hit with over 100 inches of snow − so heavy it weighs 30 pounds per square foot
- Bills promote linebackers coach Bobby Babich to become new defensive coordinator
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Elton John, Bernie Taupin selected for Gershwin Prize: 'An incredible honor for two British guys'
- Hunter Biden’s lawyers press for dismissal of gun charges by arguing they are politically motivated
- Memphis officials release hours of more video in fatal police beating of Tyre Nichols
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Israeli intelligence docs detail alleged UNRWA staff links to Hamas, including 12 accused in Oct. 7 attack
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- David Rubenstein has a deal to buy the Baltimore Orioles for $1.725 billion, AP source says
- Nikki Haley on White House bid: This is just getting started
- Ukraine has improved conditions for its Hungarian minority. It might not be enough for Viktor Orbán
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Wisconsin man gets life sentence in 2021 killings of 3 men whose bodies were found outside quarry
- Who is Victoria Monét? Meet the songwriter-turned-star nominated for seven Grammys
- US pilot safely ejects before his F-16 fighter jet crashes in South Korean sea
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Britain's King Charles III discharged from hospital after prostate treatment
Tennessee football program, other sports under NCAA investigation for possible NIL violations
Wrestling icon Vince McMahon resigns from WWE parent company after sex abuse suit
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Man convicted in Door County bar fire that killed two people
Hong Kong court orders China's Evergrande, which owes $300 billion, to liquidate
Best Super Bowl LVIII player prop bets for Chiefs-49ers you can place right now