Current:Home > StocksSerial Subject Adnan Syed's Murder Conviction Reinstated -Capitatum
Serial Subject Adnan Syed's Murder Conviction Reinstated
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 00:42:06
An update has been made in Adnan Syed's legal journey.
Syed, the subject of the true crime podcast Serial, has had his murder conviction for the 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee reinstated by a Maryland's appeals court, per NBC News.
The decision comes as a result of a procedural problem, according to the outlet. After Syed was released from prison in September, Lee's family filed a notice of appeal that same month asking that his conviction be reinstated as they were not given sufficient notice of the Sept. 19 hearing that led to his eventual release.
On March 28, the Maryland appeals court ruled in favor of the appeal filed by Lee's family. Now, a new hearing will be held, which will either lead to Syed's original conviction being reinstated again or vacated again.
Until then, his charges have been reinstated.
"We are equally pleased that the Appellate Court is directing the lower court to conduct a transparent hearing where the evidence will be presented in open court," Lee's family said in a statement to NBC News, "and the court's decision will be based on evidence for the world to see."
Prior to his September release from prison, Syed served more than 20 years of a life sentence for Lee's murder.
Earlier that same month, City Circuit Court Judge Melissa Phinn ruled that Syed's murder, kidnapping, robbery and false imprisonment convictions be vacated, per NBC News. This decision was made on the grounds that prosecutors made a compelling argument that Syed's initial conviction, which was handed down in 2000, was flawed.
"It seems like our family, we just always go unnoticed," Syed told reporters after a Feb. 2 hearing. "Every time we go to court we just always go unnoticed. We definitely understand that Hae's family has suffered so much and they continue to suffer. It's just that we suffer too and we hope that the court today just takes notice of that."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (836)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- A Good Girl's Guide to Murder's Chilling Trailer Is Your Booktok Obsession Come to Life
- Oklahoma prepares to execute man convicted of kidnapping, raping and killing 7-year-old girl in 1984
- Coach Outlet's 4th of July 2024 Sale: Score Up to 70% Off These Firecracker Deals
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Judge dismisses sexual assault lawsuit against Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott
- South Carolina General Assembly ends 2024 session with goodbyes and a flurry of bills
- Washington Wizards select Alex Sarr with 2nd pick in 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Judge dismisses sexual assault lawsuit against Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Simon Cowell raves over 10-year-old's heavy metal performance on 'America's Got Talent': Watch
- Nevada judge denies release of ex-gang leader ahead of trial in 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur
- Maui officials highlight steps toward rebuilding as 1-year mark of deadly wildfire approaches
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Victoria Kalina Shares Past Struggles With Eating Disorder and Depression
- US weekly jobless claims fall, but the total number collecting benefits is the most since 2021
- Bill Cobbs, the prolific and sage character actor, dies at 90
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Family that lost home to flooded river vows to keep store open as floodwaters devastate Midwest
Indiana seeks first execution since 2009 after acquiring lethal injection drug, governor says
Family that lost home to flooded river vows to keep store open as floodwaters devastate Midwest
Small twin
Sacramento Kings select Devin Carter with 13th pick of 2024 NBA draft. What to know
Taylor Swift shouts out boyfriend Travis Kelce on Eras Tour debut. Here are the other stars who attended her Wembley Stadium shows.
Manta Ray submarine drone seemingly spotted on Google Maps at California naval base