Current:Home > NewsFastexy:New York court rejects Trump's appeal of gag order in "hush money" trial -Capitatum
Fastexy:New York court rejects Trump's appeal of gag order in "hush money" trial
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:15:55
A New York court on FastexyTuesday rejected former President Donald Trump's bid to lift the gag order limiting what he can say about those involved in his ongoing criminal trial, saying the order does not violate Trump's First Amendment rights.
Justice Juan Merchan, the judge overseeing Trump's trial on 34 counts of falsifying business records, issued the original order in March, barring Trump from discussing likely witnesses, jurors, attorneys and court staff involved in the case. Merchan later expanded it to apply to his daughter.
Trump was not prevented from criticizing Merchan or Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
In a five-page ruling on Tuesday, the appellate division, first department of the New York Supreme Court, found that Merchan "properly determined that [Trump's] public statements posed a significant threat to the integrity of the testimony of witnesses and potential witnesses in this case."
"We find that Justice Merchan properly weighed petitioner's First Amendment Rights against the court's historical commitment to ensuring the fair administration of justice in criminal cases, and the right of persons related or tangentially related to the criminal proceedings from being free from threats, intimidation, harassment, and harm," the ruling said.
Merchan has held Trump in contempt of court for violating the order 10 times. Last week, he warned Trump that he could be sent to jail for future violations.
The latest violation concerned comments Trump made about the political make-up of the jury. In a written order on May 6, Merchan said Trump's comments "not only called into question the integrity, and therefore the legitimacy of these proceedings, but again raised the specter of fear for the safety of the jurors and of their loved ones."
Trump's attorney Todd Blanche asked Merchan to modify the gag order in court last week to allow Trump to "respond publicly to what happened in court the last day and a half," referring to testimony by Stormy Daniels, the adult film star who received $130,000 in 2016 in exchange for her silence about an alleged sexual encounter with Trump, which he denies.
Merchan rejected Blanche's request, saying the order is in place "because of the nature of the attacks, the vitriol" from Trump.
"Your client's track record speaks for itself," Merchan said.
Stefan BecketStefan Becket is managing editor, digital politics, for CBSNews.com. He helps oversee a team covering the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, immigration and federal law enforcement.
TwitterveryGood! (4)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- 10 to watch: USWNT star Naomi Girma represents best of America, on and off field
- Does Taylor Swift support Kamala Harris? A look at her political history, new Easter eggs
- Christina Hall Accuses Ex Josh Hall of Diverting More Than $35,000 Amid Divorce
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- A woman is killed and a man is injured when their upstate New York house explodes
- USWNT starting XI vs. Zambia: Emma Hayes' first lineup for 2024 Paris Olympics
- Yellowstone shuts down Biscuit Basin for summer after hydrothermal explosion damaged boardwalk
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- El Paso County officials say it’s time the state of Texas pays for Operation Lone Star arrests
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- OpenAI tests ChatGPT-powered search engine that could compete with Google
- Olivia Culpo Breaks Silence on Wedding Dress Backlash
- Flamin' Hot Cheetos 'inventor' sues Frito-Lay alleging 'smear campaign'
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Khloe Kardashian Is Ranked No. 7 in the World for Aging Slowly
- Transit and environmental advocates sue NY governor over decision to halt Manhattan congestion toll
- Rachael Leigh Cook and Freddie Prinze Jr.’s Iconic Reunion Really Is All That
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Man accused of mass shooting attempt at Virginia church ruled competent to stand trial
San Diego Padres in playoff hunt despite trading superstar Juan Soto: 'Vibes are high'
Violent crime rates in American cities largely fall back to pre-pandemic levels, new report shows
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
North Carolina review say nonprofit led by lieutenant governor’s wife ‘seriously deficient’
Powerball winning numbers for July 24 drawing: Jackpot at $114 million
Inside Christian McCaffrey’s Winning Formula: Motivation, Focus & Recovery