Current:Home > FinanceFamily warned school about threats to their son who was shot and killed at graduation, report shows -Capitatum
Family warned school about threats to their son who was shot and killed at graduation, report shows
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:08:59
An 18-year-old student fatally shot last year after his high school graduation in Virginia had been kept home for months because of fears for his safety but was still allowed to attend commencement ceremonies, according to report released Wednesday.
The report, prepared by a law firm at the request of Richmond Public Schools, found that the decision to allow Shawn Jackson to attend commencement for Huguenot High School occurred despite regulations barring homebound students from participating in school-sponsored activities without permission from a school principal or their designee.
Jackson and his stepfather, Lorenzo Smith, 36, were shot and killed in June 2023 at the conclusion of graduation ceremonies outside Richmond’s Altria Theater, located on the outskirts of Virginia Commonwealth University. Five other people were wounded by gunfire, and at least 12 more suffered other injuries or were treated for anxiety due to the mayhem, police said.
Amari Pollard, 19, who graduated alongside Jackson, is jailed awaiting trial on murder charges for Jackson’s death.
Richmond Public Schools released the 29-page report along with thousands of pages of supporting interview transcripts and documents investigating what occurred. A judge ordered the report’s release Tuesday after the school board voted against making the report public.
The report shows that Jackson’s mother was concerned enough about her son’s safety that she emailed a counselor a week before the shooting asking if her son could skip the graduation rehearsal practices. A school counselor advised the mother that she would squeeze Jackson into the commencement without attending the required rehearsals “if you feel that it’s too dangerous.”
Four months before the shooting, the mother sent an email complaining about safety procedures when her son had to attend the school in person to take a test.
“He was in the class with people who literally tried to kill him,” she wrote.
And a year before the shooting, she indicated to the same counselor and the school principal that “we are still homeless from our home being shot up, by students in Huguenot.”
In a phone interview, the former principal, Robert Gilstrap, said it was unfair of the report to blame him or the counselor allowing Jackson to attend graduation.
“The entire mission we were given in my years there is, ‘We need to get these kids to graduate,’” said Gilstrap, who is now an assistant superintendent with the Virginia Department of Education. He said his understanding was that the dispute between Pollard and Jackson was something that stretched back to their freshman year, and he said he was not made aware that the mother had expressed fresh concerns about her son’s safety.
Gilstrap said he was unaware of the report’s release until contacted by a reporter, and he took issue with a description in the report that he was “checked out” as principal around the time of the graduation shooting as he looked for another job.
“I worked there for eight years,” he said. “I was the longest serving principal in Huguenot’s history.”
According to the report, the counselor told investigators that she didn’t consult with the principal before telling the mother that Jackson could attend graduation. But Richmond Public Schools Superintendent Jason Kamras said in a reply memo that the school system believes Gilstrap had delegated the authority to decide on Jackson’s participation in graduation ceremonies to the counselor.
The school system did not respond immediately to an email requesting comment about the report’s findings. It did issue a written statement saying in part, “Our shared commitment is to learn from this tragedy and continue to improve in order to further safeguard our students and staff. We already have taken several steps, including updating our policies about who can authorize students to participate in a graduation ceremony.”
veryGood! (92999)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Crypto enthusiasts want to buy an NBA team, after failing to purchase US Constitution
- Facebook's own data is not as conclusive as you think about teens and mental health
- 3 Former U.S. Intelligence Operatives Admit Hacking For United Arab Emirates
- Bodycam footage shows high
- White House brings together 30 nations to combat ransomware
- Facebook scraps ad targeting based on politics, race and other 'sensitive' topics
- Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach highest level in 6 years
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 3 Former U.S. Intelligence Operatives Admit Hacking For United Arab Emirates
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Unpopular plan to raise France's retirement age from 62 to 64 approved by Constitutional Council
- Former Indian lawmaker and his brother shot dead by men posing as journalists in attack caught live on TV
- More than 1 in 3 rural Black southerners lack home internet access, a new study finds
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Erika Hamden: What does it take to send a telescope into the stratosphere?
- Japanese prime minister unharmed after blast heard at speech
- Biden travel documents found on street in Northern Ireland
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Former Indian lawmaker and his brother shot dead by men posing as journalists in attack caught live on TV
The metaverse is already here. The debate now is over who should own it
Couple beheaded themselves with homemade guillotine in ritual sacrifice, police in India say
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Why Kelly Ripa Says “Nothing Will Change” After Ryan Seacrest Exits Live
Complaints about spam texts were up 146% last year. Now, the FCC wants to take action
Voice-only telehealth may go away with pandemic rules expiring