Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|Judge turns down ex-Rep. George Santos’ request to nix some charges ahead of fraud trial -Capitatum
Ethermac|Judge turns down ex-Rep. George Santos’ request to nix some charges ahead of fraud trial
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:58:25
NEW YORK (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos on EthermacFriday lost a bid to get rid of part of the criminal case against him as he heads toward trial on charges that include defrauding campaign donors.
U.S. District Joanna Seybert turned down Santos’ request to dismiss charges of aggravated identity theft and theft of public money — in all, three of the 23 charges against the New York Republican.
Prosecutors and Santos’ lawyers declined to comment.
Prosecutors have accused Santos of a range of crimes — among them lying to Congress about his wealth, collecting unemployment benefits while actually working, and using campaign contributions to pay for such personal expenses as designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
The aggravated identity theft charges pertain to allegations that Santos used campaign donors’ credit card information to make repeated contributions they hadn’t authorized. Prosecutors say he also tried to hide the true source of the money — and evade campaign contribution limits — by listing the donations as coming from some of his relatives and associates, without their assent.
Santos’ lawyers argued in court filings that the aggravated identity theft charges were invalid because, in the defense’s view, the allegations amounted only to overcharging credit card accounts that had been willingly provided to him.
Prosecutors disputed that argument. They said in filings that Santos hadn’t just “used” the credit card information but “abused it, with specific intent to defraud” in order to make his campaign coffers look fuller.
The theft of public funds charge relates to the alleged unemployment fraud.
Santos’ lawyers said the charge improperly combined multiple alleged criminal schemes and transactions. Courts have said in other cases that such combination isn’t allowed for various reasons, including the possibility that jurors could convict on the charge while believing a defendant guilty of only part of it.
Prosecutors in Santos’ case said the theft of public funds charge against him alleges “a single continuing scheme.”
The former Congress member is slated to go on trial in September in Central Islip, on New York’s Long Island.
In April, he dropped his longshot bid to return to Congress as an independent in New York’s 1st Congressional District, on Long Island.
veryGood! (81964)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Dime heist: 4 Philadelphia men charged after millions of dimes stolen from US Mint truck
- Democratic governor spars with Republican challenger over pandemic policies in Kentucky debate
- Retail credit card interest rates rise to record highs, topping 30% APR
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- North Carolina woman turns her luck around on Friday the 13th with $100,000 lottery win
- 10 NBA players under pressure to perform in 2023-24 include Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard
- How Winter House Will Address Tom Sandoval's Season 3 Absence
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Night sweats can be as unsettling as they are inconvenient. Here's what causes them.
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Counting down the NBA's top 30 players for 2023-24 season: Nos. 15-1
- Ukraine’s leader says Russian naval assets are no longer safe in the Black Sea near Crimea
- Many families to get a break on winter heating costs but uncertainties persist
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Cyprus police say they have dismantled the third people smuggling ring in as many months
- NBA star-studded opening night featuring four Finals MVPs promises preview of crazy West
- Dime heist: 4 Philadelphia men charged after millions of dimes stolen from US Mint truck
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Two ships have collided off the coast of Germany and several people are missing
Kelly Ripa Shares Glimpse Inside Mother-Daughter Trip to London With Lola Consuelos
'Let Us Descend' follows a slave on a painful journey — finding some hope on the way
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Slovakia’s president is ready to swear in a new Cabinet after partner replaces ministry nominee
Amy Robach Hints at True Love While Hitting Relationship Milestone With T.J. Holmes
Four years after fire engulfed California scuba dive boat killing 34 people, captain’s trial begins