Current:Home > reviewsOhio man gets 2.5 years in prison for death threats made in 2022 to Arizona’s top election official -Capitatum
Ohio man gets 2.5 years in prison for death threats made in 2022 to Arizona’s top election official
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 01:45:02
An Ohio man who acknowledged making death threats in voicemails left for then-Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs during the 2022 election season has been sentenced Monday to 2 1/2 years in prison.
Joshua Russell of Bucyrus, Ohio, had pleaded guilty on Aug. 31, 2023, in Phoenix to a federal charge of making an interstate threat against Hobbs, a Democrat who, as secretary of state, was Arizona’s chief elections officer in 2022 and now serves as the state’s governor.
U.S. District Judge Steven Logan commended Russell for undergoing substance abuse treatment and other counseling since his arrest and getting his life in order but concluded Russell must spend time in prison, saying he has traumatized people who work in the secretary of state’s office.
The judge, who read Russell’s profanity-laden threats aloud in court, said Russell had accused the victim of being a terrorist, while he was threatening her life. He rejected Russell’s characterization of his actions as immature. “None of these people deserved it,” the judge said.
“I was looking for an outlet to cast my inner turmoil onto,” Russell told the judge before he was sentenced. He hugged his parents and sister in the courtroom before he was taken away to start serving his punishment.
Hobbs was not present in court during the sentencing hearing.
The three voicemails left by Russell were among the countless threats made against Hobbs for her role in certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential victory over Donald Trump in Arizona and her responsibility in running the 2022 midterm elections. As secretary of state, Hobbs at times had round-the-clock security due to threats from Trump supporters who falsely claimed that his loss in Arizona was marred by fraud. She has described threatening phone calls to her office and said critics tried to get her husband fired from his job.
Russell’s case is among the cases brought by the U.S. Justice Department’s Election Threats Task Force, which focuses on threats of violence against elected officials, workers and volunteers to ensure they can oversee elections free of harassment.
Earlier this month, a Massachusetts man was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for making an online threat to bomb Hobbs’ office in February 2021 when she was still the secretary of state.
In February, an Alabama man accused of sending death threats to a social media account for the Maricopa County Elections Department was charged with making interstate threats. And an Iowa man was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for his conviction for threatening Maricopa County Supervisor Clint Hickman and Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich, both Republicans.
In voicemails that began on primary election day and ended a week after the general election, Russell called Hobbs a traitor and made explicit threats, telling the secretary of state that “her days are extremely numbered,” she had “just signed your own death warrant” and she will either be sent to jail “or we will see you to the grave.”
Prosecutors had asked the judge to send Russell to prison for 2 1/2 years, saying Russell’s threats caused deep fear and apprehension for Hobbs and employees of the secretary of state’s office and that election workers should be able to do their jobs without fear and intimidation.
Prosecutors also said the sentence should reflect the seriousness of the crime and should serve as a deterrent against anyone making similar threats in the future.
Russell’s lawyer, Jazmin Alagha, had sought a sentence of only probation, saying her client deeply regrets his actions, “was recklessly expressing disagreement with the political culture at that time,” was struggling financially and spiraling into a deep depression, and that his actions were driven mostly by his substance abuse problems.
In a document written by Russell and submitted to the court, Russell described his situation at the time he made the threats, saying he was depressed and angry and that his drug use fueled his isolation.
“All I did was hide in bed all day scrolling thru social media and political forums – looking at blogs or anything that could serve as an outlet for my pent up anger combined with all the pain I was suppressing,” Russell wrote.
Russell also wrote an apology letter to Hobbs, saying social media and news stories had become another addiction for him, but has since taken courses on anger management and substance abuse.
“I am truly sorry for my actions,” Russell told Hobbs in the letter. “I’m not a violent man, I am a broken man. No one should be the target of such disrespectful behavior.”
Logan suggested Russell read the U.S. Constitution while in prison and appreciate that the United States has free and fair elections. The judge also denied Russell’s request for 45 days to get his affairs in order, telling him he had to say goodbye to his family.
veryGood! (454)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Former Alabama police officer agrees to plead guilty in alleged drug planting scheme
- Prominent 2020 election denier seeks GOP nod for Michigan Supreme Court race
- West Virginia’s personal income tax to drop by 4% next year, Gov. Justice says
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Try these 3 trends to boost your odds of picking Mega Millions winning numbers
- From 'The Bikeriders' to 'Furiosa,' 15 movies you need to stream right now
- Kim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Lily Collins has found ‘Emily 2.0’ in Paris
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Wyoming reporter resigned after admitting to using AI to write articles, generate quotes
- Sofia Richie Shares Special Way She’s Cherishing Mom Life With Baby Eloise
- How Lubbock artists pushed back after the city ended funding for its popular art walk
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Ohio deputy fired more than a year after being charged with rape
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Keke Palmer Shares How 17-Month-Old Son Leodis Has Completely Changed Her Life
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Friday August 16, 2024
How Volleyball Player Avery Skinner Is Approaching the 2028 LA Olympics After Silver Medal Win
Will the Cowboy State See the Light on Solar Electricity?
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Does Micellar Water Work As Dry Shampoo? I Tried the TikTok Hack and These Are My Results
Trader Joe's recalls over 650,000 scented candles due to fire hazard
Neighbor reported smelling gas night before Maryland house explosion