Current:Home > MarketsA group representing TikTok, Meta and X sues Utah over strict new limits on app use for minors -Capitatum
A group representing TikTok, Meta and X sues Utah over strict new limits on app use for minors
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:17:20
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A trade group that represents TikTok and other major tech companies sued Utah on Monday over its first-in-the-nation laws requiring children and teens to obtain parental consent to use social media apps.
Two laws signed in March by Republican Gov. Spencer Cox will prohibit minors from using social media between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. unless authorized by a parent — and require age verification to open and maintain a social media account in the state.
The restrictions are designed to protect children from targeted advertisements and addictive features that could negatively impact their mental health. Both laws take effect March 1, 2024.
The NetChoice trade group argues in its federal lawsuit that although Utah’s regulations are well-intentioned, they are unconstitutional because they restrict access to public content, compromise data security and undermine parental rights.
“We are fighting to ensure that all Utahns can embrace digital tools without the forceful clutch of government control,” said Chris Marchese, Director of the NetChoice Litigation Center. The trade association includes many of the world’s leading social media companies, including TikTok, Snapchat parent company Snap Inc., Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta, and X, formerly known as Twitter.
Cox predicted there would be lawsuits challenging both bills but said he wasn’t worried because there is a growing body of research that demonstrates how social media use can negatively impact the mental health outcomes of children.
“I’m not going to back down from a potential legal challenge when these companies are killing our kids,” Cox argued earlier this year.
The governor’s office did not immediately respond Monday to emails seeking comment on the lawsuit. The office of Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes will represent the state in court.
“The State of Utah is reviewing the lawsuit but remains intently focused on the goal of this legislation: Protecting young people from negative and harmful effects of social media use,” spokesperson Richard Piatt said.
In another lawsuit filed by NetChoice, a federal judge temporarily blocked Arkansas from enforcing its new law requiring parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts. Similar laws in Texas and Louisiana have not yet taken effect.
Utah’s state laws impose steep fines for social media companies that do not comply with the age-verification rule, which NetChoice says may lead companies to collect an excess of personal information from users that could end up threatening their online safety. The state regulations prohibit companies from using any design or feature that causes a child to become addicted to their app.
Under the laws, parents will have access to their children’s accounts and can more easily sue social media companies that they claim have caused their children harm. The laws shift the burden of proof from the families onto the social media companies, requiring them to demonstrate that their products were not harmful. Any social media platform with at least five million users is subject to the new regulations.
The lawsuit also challenges the state-imposed social media curfew, arguing that it could negatively impact children by cutting them off from the news, study tools and communications with their peers.
NetChoice has asked a federal judge to halt the laws from taking effect while its case moves through the legal system.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Biden hosts the Angolan president in an effort to showcase strengthened ties, as Africa visit slips
- Hurricane season that saw storms from California to Nova Scotia ends Thursday
- Las Vegas man accused of threats against Jewish U.S. senator and her family is indicted
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Former Marine pleads guilty to firebombing Southern California Planned Parenthood clinic in 2022
- 9 hilarious Christmas tree ornaments made for parents who barely survived 2023
- Stats show Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott has shot at winning NFL MVP award
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Country music star to perform at Kentucky governor’s inauguration
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Kari Lake loses suit to see ballot envelopes in 3rd trial tied to Arizona election defeat
- Connor Stalions’ drive unlocked his Michigan coaching dream — and a sign-stealing scandal
- Trump gag order in New York fraud trial reinstated as appeals court sides with judge
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Megan Fox reveals ectopic pregnancy loss before miscarriage with Machine Gun Kelly
- Indiana announces hiring of James Madison’s Curt Cignetti as new head coach
- MSNBC shuffling weekend schedule, debuting new morning ensemble, heading into election year
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Pakistan police arrest 4 men in the death of a woman after a photo with her boyfriend went viral
Haslam family refutes allegation from Warren Buffett’s company that it bribed truck stop chain execs
What is boyfriend air? Why these women say dating changed their appearance.
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Brazilian city enacts an ordinance secretly written by a surprising new staffer: ChatGPT
Millions of seniors struggle to afford housing — and it's about to get a lot worse
Okta says security breach disclosed in October was way worse than first thought