Current:Home > reviewsJudge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert -Capitatum
Judge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 09:25:06
HOUSTON (AP) — Hip-hop artist Drake has been dismissed from a lawsuit over the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival in Houston in which 10 people were killed, a judge has ruled.
Drake was a special guest of rap superstar Travis Scott, who had headlined the festival. He performed with Scott at the end of the concert on Nov. 5, 2021, as the crowd surged and attendees were packed so tightly that many could not breathe or move their arms or legs. Authorities and festival organizers were trying to shut down the show.
The families of the 10 people who died during the concert, as well as hundreds who were injured, sued Drake, Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities.
Many of those who were sued, including Drake and Scott, have asked state District Judge Kristen Hawkins to dismiss the lawsuits against them. On Wednesday, Hawkins dismissed Drake from the case in a brief order.
Lawyers for Drake, whose full name is Aubrey Drake Graham, had argued during a court hearing April 1 in Houston that he was not involved in putting the concert together so was not liable for the deaths and injuries that had occurred.
During a deposition he gave in November in Toronto, the Canadian rapper said in the moments before he took the stage, no one told him that people in the crowd were suffering cardiac arrests or other injuries. He said when he was on stage, the crowd looked like a blur and he couldn’t make out any details.
In the deposition, Drake was shown a video that the youngest victim, 9-year-old Ezra Blount, took as he sat on his father’s shoulders.
“Do you see the panic in those people’s eyes?” an attorney asked Drake about the video.
“I do, sir,” the rapper responded.
Later, when asked by an attorney for Blount’s family about whether it would be important for him to hear from those who put the concert together about why Blount died, Drake said, “I think I would want answers for what happened, yes.”
On Monday, Hawkins dismissed seven companies and individual people who had been sued. But she denied motions to dismiss that were filed by 10 other companies and individuals, including Apple Inc., which produced a livestream of the concert, and two companies associated with Scott. Hawkins was set to hear other motions to dismiss, including one related to Scott as an individual, on Monday.
Following an investigation by Houston Police, no charges were filed against Scott. A grand jury in June declined to indict him and five other people on any criminal counts related to the deadly concert. Police Chief Troy Finner declined to say what was the overall conclusion of his agency’s investigation.
In July, the police department made public its nearly 1,300-page investigative report in which festival workers highlighted problems and warned of possible deadly consequences.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
The first trial from the lawsuits is scheduled for May 6.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of four of the people killed during the concert. The most recent settlement related to a person who was killed was announced in court filings on Feb. 5, with lawyers for the family of 23-year-old Rodolfo “Rudy” Peña saying they had settled their case.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (848)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Kate Spade Outlet’s Early Black Friday Sale – Get a $259 Bag for $59 & More Epic Deals Starting at $25
- Former NFL coach Jack Del Rio charged with operating vehicle while intoxicated
- Stressing over Election Day? Try these apps and tools to calm your nerves
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Early Week 11 fantasy football rankings: 30 risers and fallers
- Disney x Lululemon Limited-Edition Collection: Shop Before It Sells Out
- Is Kyle Richards Finally Ready to File for Divorce From Mauricio Umansky? She Says...
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Why Cynthia Erivo Needed Prosthetic Ears for Wicked
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Jenn Tran's Ex Devin Strader Throws Shade At Her DWTS Partner Sasha Farber Amid Romance Rumors
- Biden funded new factories and infrastructure projects, but Trump might get to cut the ribbons
- Harriet Tubman posthumously named a general in Veterans Day ceremony
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Kid Rock tells fellow Trump supporters 'most of our left-leaning friends are good people'
- Wisconsin authorities believe kayaker staged his disappearance and fled to Europe
- Maryland man wanted after 'extensive collection' of 3D-printed ghost guns found at his home
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Jason Kelce collaborates with Stevie Nicks for Christmas duet: Hear the song
Voters in Oakland oust Mayor Sheng Thao just 2 years into her term
2025 Medicare Part B premium increase outpaces both Social Security COLA and inflation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger welcome their first son together
Brian Austin Green Shares Message to Sharna Burgess Amid Ex Megan Fox's Baby News
'Unfortunate error': 'Wicked' dolls with porn site on packaging pulled from Target, Amazon