Current:Home > reviewsItalian rescuers search for missing in island landslide, with one confirmed dead -Capitatum
Italian rescuers search for missing in island landslide, with one confirmed dead
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:20:33
MILAN — Rescuers dug through mud for a second day Sunday in the search for people believed lost in an enormous landslide on the Italian resort island of Ischia.
One body was recovered on Saturday and two families with children remained among the 11 missing in the port town of Casamicciola, feared buried under mud and debris that firefighters said was six meters (20 feet) deep in some places.
"Mud and water tend to fill every space,'' the spokesman for Italian firefighter, Luca Cari, told RAI state TV. "Our teams are searching with hope, even if it is very difficult."
"Our biggest hope is that people identified as missing have found refuge with relatives and friends and have not advised of their position," he added.
The risks of landslides remained in the part of town furthest up the mountain, requiring search teams to enter by foot, he said.
Small bulldozers focused on clearing roads overnight to allow rescue vehicles to pass, while dive teams were brought in to check cars that had been pushed into the sea.
"We are continuing the search with our hearts broken, because among the missing are also minors," Giacomo Pascale, the mayor of the neighboring town of Lacco Ameno, told RAI.
Pope Francis expressed his closeness to the people of Ischia during the traditional Sunday blessing in St. Peter's Square. "I am praying for the victims, for those who are suffering and for those who are involved in the rescue," he said.
The Naples prefect, Claudio Palomba, on Sunday said the official number of missing was 11, while four people had been injured and 160 displaced from their homes, according to the LaPresse news agency. He said 15 homes had been overwhelmed by the stream of mud.
The massive landslide before dawn on Saturday was triggered by exceptional rainfall, and sent a mass of mud and debris hurtling down a mountainside toward the port of Casamicciola, collapsing buildings and sweeping vehicles into the sea. By Sunday, 164 people were left homeless by the events.
One widely circulated video showed a man, covered with mud, clinging to a shutter, chest-deep in muddy water.
The island received 126 millimeters (nearly five inches) of rain in six hours, the heaviest rainfall in 20 years, according to officials. Experts said the disaster was exacerbated by building in areas of high risk on the mountainous island.
"There is territory that cannot be occupied. You cannot change the use of a zone where there is water. The course of the water created this disaster," geologist Riccardo Caniparoli told RAI. "There are norms and laws that were not respected."
Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni convened a Cabinet meeting for later Sunday to declare a state of emergency on the island. "The government expresses its closeness to the citizens, mayors and towns of the island of Ischia, and thanks the rescue workers searching for the victims," Meloni said in a statement.
veryGood! (818)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Seal poses in rare appearance with 4 kids on 'Book of Clarence' red carpet: See the photo
- Michael J. Fox explains why 'Parkinson's has been a gift' at National Board of Review gala
- Usher Super Bowl halftime show trailer promises performance '30 years in the making': Watch
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- 75th Primetime Emmy Awards winners predictions: Our picks for who will (and should) win
- Massachusetts man to buy safe car for daughter, grandchild with $1 million lottery win
- Tearful Russian billionaire who spent $2 billion on art tells jurors Sotheby’s cheated him
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Los Angeles man pleads not guilty to killing wife and her parents, putting body parts in trash
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Alabama is close to hiring Kalen DeBoer from Washington to replace Nick Saban, AP source says
- Counting the days: Families of Hamas hostages prepare to mark loved ones’ 100th day in captivity
- CVS closing select Target pharmacies, with plans to close 300 total stores this year
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Elmore Nickleberry, a Memphis sanitation worker who marched with Martin Luther King, has died at 92
- Producers Guild nominations boost Oscar contenders: 'Barbie,' 'Oppenheimer' and more
- Grubhub agrees to a $3.5 million settlement with Massachusetts for fees charged during the pandemic
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Former US Sen. Herb Kohl remembered for his love of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Bucks
Patriots hire Jerod Mayo as coach one day after split with Bill Belichick
Is Jay-Z's new song about Beyoncé? 'The bed ain't a bed without you'
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
3 teens face charges in Christmas Day youth facility disturbance, Albuquerque sheriff says
After Alabama speculation, Florida State coach Mike Norvell signs 8-year extension
Sam's Club announces it will stop checking receipts and start using AI at exits