Current:Home > ScamsThe Myanmar military says it and ethnic guerrilla groups have agreed to an immediate cease-fire -Capitatum
The Myanmar military says it and ethnic guerrilla groups have agreed to an immediate cease-fire
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:29:17
BEIJING (AP) — Myanmar’s military has reached a cease-fire agreement with an alliance of ethnic minority guerrilla groups it has been battling in the country’s northeast, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Friday. Myanmar’s militray government confirmed the development.
The agreement was brokered at talks mediated by China on Wednesday and Thursday in Kunming, a Chinese provincial capital about 400 kilometers (250 miles) from the border with Myanmar, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said.
“China hopes the relevant parties in Myanmar can conscientiously implement the agreement, exercise maximum restraint toward each other and solve the issues through dialogue and consultations,” she said at a daily briefing in Beijing.
Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun, the spokesperson of Myanmar’s ruling military council, said in an audio note to journalists that the two sides had met in Kunming and after talks, agreed on a temporary cease-fire agreement.
“We will continue discussions We will continue to work for the strengthening of the cease-fire.” Zaw Min Tun said.
A previous cease-fire pact reached in mid-December was not honored by either side.
Chinese spokesperson Mao said the military and the Three Brotherhood Alliance — which comprises the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, the Ta’ang National Liberation Army and the Arakan Army — agreed to an immediate cease-fire, the disengaging of military personnel and the settlement of their disputes through negotiations.
“The two sides promised not to undermine the safety of Chinese people living in the border area and Chinese projects and personnel in Myanmar,” she said.
Independent Myanmar media and foreign media with Myanmar-language news services reported similar details, but there was no immediate direct word from the alliance about the cease-fire development.
The media reports said the military agreed to stop aerial bombing and artillery shelling in northern Shan state, which abuts China, and the Three Brotherhood Alliance agreed to halt its offensive and not seek to capture more towns and army encampments.
The reports said the cease-fire would not apply to fighting in other regions of Myanmar.
Myanmar has been wracked by violence that began after the army ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi in February 2021. The Three Brotherhood Alliance launched an offensive against the military in October and took control of Laukkaing, a key city on the border with China, last week.
Their attacks have posed the greatest battlefield challenge to Myanmar’s military rulers since the army takeover.
Much of the fighting is along Myanmar’s border with China, blocking cross-border trade and threatening further political destabilization of Myanmar, a strategic ally of China that is already tangled in civil war in many parts of the country.
China is concerned about the rising violence and the safety of Chinese citizens in northern Myanmar, China has also been cracking down on cyberscam operations that have trafficked Chinese workers into Myanmar and forced them to work, including in Laukkaing.
The alliance has claimed widespread victories, including the seizure of more than 250 military posts, about a dozen towns and five major border crossing points controlling crucial trade with China.
Zaw Min Tun said Myanmar and China will continue to negotiate reopening the border trading gates, which were closed after combat began and most or all of which are now in the hands of the Three Brotherhood Alliance.
veryGood! (693)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Angel Reese calls out Barstool Sports for double standard on player celebrations
- Video shows Coast Guard rescue dog that fell from Oregon cliff, emotional reunion with owners
- Arizona rancher rejects plea deal in fatal shooting of migrant near the US-Mexico border; trial set
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Deer crashes through windshield, kills 23-year-old Mississippi woman: Reports
- Flooding at Boston hospital disrupts IVF services for 200 patients, leaving some devastated
- The fastest way to lose weight? Let's shift the perspective.
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Why Fans Think Kendall Jenner & Bad Bunny Reunited After Breakup
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- ‘Debtor’s prison’ lawsuit filed against St. Louis suburb resolved with $2.9 million settlement
- South Carolina fears non-native tegu lizards could take root and wreak ecological havoc
- These Are the Best Sports Bras for Big Boobs That Are Comfy & Supportive, According to an Expert
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Myanmar’s military government pardons 10,000 prisoners to mark Independence Day
- One attack, two interpretations: Biden and Trump both make the Jan. 6 riot a political rallying cry
- Packers' Jaire Alexander 'surprised' by suspension for coin-flip snafu, vows to learn from it
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Family from Arkansas identified as victims in fatal Michigan home explosion
An apparent Israeli strike killed a top Hamas commander. How might it impact the Gaza conflict?
Family from Arkansas identified as victims in fatal Michigan home explosion
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Like it or not, Peanut Butter and Bacon Cheeseburger debuts this month at Sonic for limited time
The Ultimatum’s Trey Brunson and Riah Nelson Welcome First Baby
Why Fans Think Kendall Jenner & Bad Bunny Reunited After Breakup