Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|First court appearance set for Georgia teen accused of killing 4 at his high school -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|First court appearance set for Georgia teen accused of killing 4 at his high school
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 08:56:18
WINDER,Benjamin Ashford Ga. (AP) — The 14-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting four people at a Georgia high school was expected to make his first court appearance Friday, a day after his father was also arrested for allowing his son to possess a weapon.
Colt Gray, who is charged as an adult with four counts of murder, will appear by video from a youth detention facility for the proceedings at the Barrow County courthouse. The hearing will be held two days after authorities said the teen opened fire at Apalachee High School in Winder, just outside Atlanta.
The teen’s father, Colin Gray, 54, was charged Thursday with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second-degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Chris Hosey.
“His charges are directly connected with the actions of his son and allowing him to possess a weapon,” Hosey said. Colin Gray’s first court appearance has not been set.
Father and son have been charged in the deaths of students Mason Schermerhorn and Christian Angulo, both 14, and teachers Richard Aspinwall, 39, and Cristina Irimie, 53, according to Hosey. Nine other people were injured, seven of them shot.
It’s the latest example of prosecutors holding parents responsible for their children’s actions in school shootings. In April, Michigan parents Jennifer and James Crumbley were the first convicted in a U.S. mass school shooting. They were sentenced to at least 10 years in prison for not securing a firearm at home and acting indifferently to signs of their son’s deteriorating mental health before he killed four students in 2021.
Arrest warrants obtained by the AP accuse Colt Gray of using a semiautomatic assault-style rifle in the attack. Authorities have not offered any motive or explained how he obtained the gun and got it into the school.
The teen denied threatening to carry out a school shooting when authorities interviewed him last year about a menacing post on social media, according to a sheriff’s report obtained Thursday.
Conflicting evidence on the post’s origin left investigators unable to arrest anyone, the report said. Jackson County Sheriff Janis Mangum said she reviewed the report from May 2023 and found nothing that would have justified bringing charges at the time.
The attack was the latest among dozens of school shootings across the U.S. in recent years, including especially deadly ones in Newtown, Connecticut; Parkland, Florida; and Uvalde, Texas. The classroom killings have set off fervent debates about gun control but there has been little change to national gun laws.
It was the 30th mass killing in the U.S. so far this year, according to a database maintained by The Associated Press and USA Today in partnership with Northeastern University. At least 127 people have died in those killings, which are defined as events in which four or more people die within a 24-hour period, not including the killer — the same definition used by the FBI.
___
Martin reported from Atlanta. Associated Press journalists Charlotte Kramon, Sharon Johnson, Mike Stewart and Erik Verduzco in Winder; Trenton Daniel and Beatrice Dupuy in New York; Eric Tucker in Washington; Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia; Kate Brumback in Atlanta; and Mark Thiessen in Anchorage, Alaska, contributed.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Senate opposition leaves South Carolina energy bill with listless future
- Boat full of decomposing corpses spotted by fishermen off Brazil coast
- New Mexico special legislative session to focus on public safety initiatives
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Travis Kelce Details His and Taylor Swift’s Enchanted Coachella Date Night
- UnitedHealth says Change Healthcare cyberattack cost it $872 million
- Uber driver shot and killed by 81-year-old Ohio man after both received scam calls, police say
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Patriots deny report that Robert Kraft warned Arthur Blank against hiring Bill Belichick
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Shopaholic Author Sophie Kinsella Shares She's Been Diagnosed With Aggressive Form of Brain Cancer
- Officials work to pull out 7 barges trapped by Ohio River dam after 26 break loose
- Zendaya Teases Her 2024 Met Gala Appearance and We’re Ready for the Greatest Show
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Senator’s son pleads not guilty to charges from crash that killed North Dakota sheriff’s deputy
- Democrats who investigated Trump say they expect to face arrest, retaliation if he wins presidency
- Bob Graham, former Florida governor and US senator with a common touch, dies at 87
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Supreme Court makes it easier to sue for job discrimination over forced transfers
Boat full of decomposing corpses spotted by fishermen off Brazil coast
Uber is helping investigators look into account that sent driver to Ohio home where she was killed
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Trump Media stock price fluctuation: What to know amid historic hush money criminal trial
Patriots deny report that Robert Kraft warned Arthur Blank against hiring Bill Belichick
Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, more 'Office' stars reunite in ad skit about pillow company