Current:Home > StocksAndrew Tate moved to house arrest in Romania after months in police custody -Capitatum
Andrew Tate moved to house arrest in Romania after months in police custody
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 23:21:54
Andrew Tate, the divisive internet personality who has spent months in a Romanian jail on suspicion of organized crime and human trafficking, has won an appeal to replace his detention with house arrest, an official said Friday.
The Bucharest Court of Appeal ruled in favor of Tate's appeal, which challenged a judge's decision last week to extend his arrest a fourth time for 30 days, said Ramona Bolla, a spokesperson for Romania's anti-organized crime agency, DIICOT.
The 36-year-old Tate, a British-U.S. citizen who has 5.5 million Twitter followers, was initially detained in late December in Romania's capital Bucharest, along with his brother Tristan and two Romanian women.
All four won an appeal Friday, and will remain under house arrest until Apr. 29, Bolla said. None of the four has yet been formally indicted. The court ruled in favor of their immediate release. Prosecutors cannot challenge the appeal court's decision, which was final, Bolla added.
As the brothers left the detention facility late Friday in Bucharest, Tristan Tate told a scrum of reporters that "the judges today made the right decision."
"I respect what they've done for me and they will be vindicated in their decision, because I'm an innocent man and I can't wait to prove it," he said.
Some Tate supporters outside the facility chanted "Top-G, Top-G," using a popular moniker many of Andrew Tate's fans refer to him as.
Later, standing outside what is believed to be the Tate brothers' home near the capital, Andrew Tate said he wanted to thank the judges "who heard us today, because they were very attentive and they listened to us, and they let us free."
"I have no resentment in my heart for the country of Romania or for anybody else," he said. "I just believe in the truth … I truly believe that justice will be served in the end. There is zero percent chance of me being convicted for something I've not done."
Tate, a professional kickboxer who has resided in Romania since 2017, was previously banned from various social media platforms for expressing misogynistic views and hate speech. He has repeatedly claimed Romanian prosecutors have no evidence and alleged their case is a "political" conspiracy designed to silence him.
DIICOT said in a statement after the December arrests that it had identified six victims in the human trafficking case who were allegedly subjected to "acts of physical violence and mental coercion" and sexually exploited by members of the alleged crime group.
The agency said victims were lured with pretenses of love and later intimidated, placed under surveillance and subjected to other control tactics while being coerced into engaging in pornographic acts for the financial gain of the crime group.
In January, Romanian authorities descended on a compound near Bucharest linked with the Tate brothers and towed away a fleet of luxury cars that included a Rolls-Royce, a Ferrari and a Porsche. They reported seizing assets worth an estimated $3.9 million.
Prosecutors have said that if they can prove the cars' owners gained money through illicit activities such as human trafficking, the assets would be used to cover the expenses of the investigation and to compensate victims. Tate unsuccessfully appealed the asset seizure.
- In:
- Human Trafficking
veryGood! (9493)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Michelle Obama launches a food company aimed at healthier choices for kids
- More gay and bisexual men will now be able to donate blood under finalized FDA rules
- Coal Miner Wins Black Lung Benefits After 14 Years, Then U.S. Government Bills Him
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- What’s Driving Antarctica’s Meltdown?
- More gay and bisexual men will now be able to donate blood under finalized FDA rules
- Where Joe Jonas Stands With Taylor Swift 15 Years After Breaking Up With Her Over the Phone
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Selling Sunset’s Nicole Young Details Online Hate She's Received Over Feud With Chrishell Stause
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Chicago children's doctor brings smiles to patients with cast art
- John Durham, Trump-era special counsel, testifies about sobering report on FBI's Russia probe
- Underwater noises detected in area of search for sub that was heading to Titanic wreckage, Coast Guard says
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- In the Mountains, Climate Change Is Disrupting Everything, from How Water Flows to When Plants Flower
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Rep Slams Abhorrent Allegations About Car Chase Being a PR Stunt
- Accidental shootings by children keep happening. How toddlers are able to fire guns.
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Bruce Willis' 9-Year-Old Daughter Is Researching Dementia Amid Dad's Health Journey
House Democrats’ Climate Plan Embraces Much of Green New Deal, but Not a Ban on Fracking
What Dr. Fauci Can Learn from Climate Scientists About Responding to Personal Attacks Over Covid-19
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Many people living in the 'Diabetes Belt' are plagued with medical debt
Car rams into 4 fans outside White Sox ballpark in Chicago
Wind Industry, Riding Tax-Credit Rollercoaster, Reports Year of Growth