Current:Home > NewsKim calls for North Korean military to be constantly ready to smash US-led invasion plot -Capitatum
Kim calls for North Korean military to be constantly ready to smash US-led invasion plot
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:14:31
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called for his military to be constantly ready for combat to thwart plots to invade his country, as he accused the U.S. of conducting “more frantic” naval drills with its allies near North Korea, state media reported Tuesday.
The U.S. and South Korean militaries are holding joint summer exercises that North Korea views as an invasion rehearsal. The allies have insisted the drills are defensive in nature.
Kim said in a speech marking the country’s Navy Day that falls on Monday that the waters off the Korean Peninsula have been made unstable “with the danger of a nuclear war” because of U.S.-led hostilities, according to the official Korean Central News Agency.
He cited a recent U.S.-South Korean-Japanese summit, the deployment of U.S. nuclear strategic assets and the U.S. drills with its allies.
“The prevailing situation requires our navy to put all its efforts into rounding off the war readiness to maintain the constant combat alertness and get prepared to break the enemy’s will for war in contingency,” Kim said.
The U.S. and South Korean militaries began the 11-day joint drills on Aug. 21. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield training is a computer-simulated command post exercise. But they included field exercises this year as well.
North Korea typically responds to U.S.-South Korean military drills with its own missile tests. Its most recent known weapons test was its failed second launch of a spy satellite last Thursday. The day the drills began, KCNA said Kim had observed the test-firings of strategic cruise missiles.
Since the beginning of 2022, North Korea has carried out more than 100 weapons tests, many of them involving nuclear-capable missiles designed to strike the U.S. and its allies South Korea and Japan. Many experts say North Korea ultimately wants to use its boosted military capabilities to wrest greater concessions from the U.S.
The North’s testing spree has forced the U.S. and South Korea to expand their drills, resume trilateral training involving Japan and enhance “regular visibility” of U.S. strategic assets to the Korean Peninsula. In July, the United States deployed a nuclear-armed submarine to South Korea for the first time in four decades.
Earlier this month, the leaders of the U.S., South Korea and Japan held their first-ever stand-alone trilateral summit at Camp David. During the meeting, they announced they intend to put into operation by year’s end the sharing of real-time missile warning data on North Korea and hold annual trilateral exercises.
Kim has been pushing hard to expand his nuclear arsenal and introduce a slew of sophisticated weapons systems.
During his Navy Day speech, Kim said that military units of each service would be given new weaponry in line with the government’s decision to expand the operation of tactical nuclear weapons. He said the navy would become “a component of the state nuclear deterrence carrying out the strategic duty.”
This suggests North Korea would deploy new nuclear-capable missiles to his navy and other military services.
veryGood! (76299)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Prize money for track & field Olympic gold medalists is 'right thing to do'
- Court filings provide additional details of the US’ first nitrogen gas execution
- Did Katie Ledecky win? How she, Team USA finished in 4x200 free relay
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Connecticut man bitten by rare rattlesnake he tried to help ends up in coma
- Mexican singer Lupita Infante talks Shakira, Micheladas and grandfather Pedro Infante
- West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice in fight to keep historic hotel amid U.S. Senate campaign
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Man shot to death outside mosque as he headed to pray was a 43-year-old Philadelphia resident
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- 8 states have sales tax holidays coming up. When is yours?
- Proposed rule would ban airlines from charging parents to sit with their children
- Olympics live updates: Katie Ledecky makes history, Simone Biles wins gold
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Did Katie Ledecky win? How she, Team USA finished in 4x200 free relay
- Remember the ice bucket challenge? 10 years later, the viral campaign is again fundraising for ALS
- Drunk driver was going 78 mph when he crashed into nail salon and killed 4, prosecutors say
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
USA's Suni Lee didn't think she could get back to Olympics. She did, and she won bronze
North Carolina House member back in leading committee position 3 years after removal
Mexican singer Lupita Infante talks Shakira, Micheladas and grandfather Pedro Infante
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Environmental Journalism Loses a Hero
Jake Paul rips Olympic boxing match sparking controversy over gender eligiblity criteria
Patrick Dempsey Comments on Wife Jillian's Sexiness on 25th Anniversary