Current:Home > MarketsMassachusetts lawmakers consider funding temporary shelter for homeless migrant families -Capitatum
Massachusetts lawmakers consider funding temporary shelter for homeless migrant families
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 02:26:21
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts lawmakers are weighing a spending bill that includes money for temporary shelter spaces for homeless families as the state struggles to find newly arriving migrants places to stay after hitting a state-imposed limit of 7,500 families in its emergency homeless shelter system.
House and Senate Democratic leaders announced Thursday they had reached a deal on a $2.8 billion spending bill two weeks after wrapping up their formal session. The bill would steer hundreds of millions of dollars to the state’s emergency shelters buckling under a crush of migrant and homeless families.
Republican lawmakers, who are in the minority in both chambers, urged Democrats to split up the spending bill. GOP leaders say they support parts that would fund overdue pay raises and disaster relief efforts but oppose funding for migrant families without significant reforms.
“There is currently no plan in place to stem the flow of new arrivals and no policy reforms implemented to ensure that longtime residents in need are not denied housing assistance, which is completely unacceptable,” Minority Leader Bradley Jones wrote in a statement Wednesday.
In an informal session, a single lawmaker can kill a bill. Formal sessions are set to begin again in January.
Democratic House Speaker Ronald Mariano said in a statement Thursday that the supplemental budget plan includes $250 million to help respond to families seeking shelter, including up to $50 million for an emergency overflow site for families stuck on the wait list.
Over 100 families are currently waiting for emergency shelter spaces.
To create more space in the shelter system, the state has been collaborating with federal officials to help migrants get work authorizations needed to find a job. At a series of recent work clinics sponsored by the state, more than 1,700 migrants have applied for work authorizations, officials said.
The migrants, all of whom are in the country legally, are eager to get work and leave the shelters according to the state’s Emergency Assistance Director Scott Rice.
“We see first-hand a lot of these migrants coming in here, their objective is to get into a community and work,” Rice said.
Nearly 500 families have exited shelters since Sept. 1, he said.
Last week, Catholic Charities Boston became first organization to be awarded a grant to provide temporary rooms for up to 27 extremely low-income families with children and pregnant individuals waiting for shelter spaces.
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey announced the $5 million grant program earlier this month.
The state also began last week letting homeless families stay overnight in the state transportation building in Boston. The space in the office building is large enough to provide overnight shelter for up to 25 families with cots and limited amenities and will only be used in the evening and overnight hours, officials said.
On Wednesday, the state announced it was joining with the YMCA of Greater Boston to give the families a welcoming environment including food and recreational opportunities during daytime hours when the temporary shelter isn’t available.
The surge in demand is being driven in part by migrant families entering the state, officials said.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- US wholesale inflation picks up slightly in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- 'Survivor' 47, Episode 9: Jeff Probst gave players another shocking twist. Who went home?
- Jennifer Lopez Gets Loud in Her First Onstage Appearance Amid Ben Affleck Divorce
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- 'Red One' review: Dwayne Johnson, Chris Evans embark on a joyless search for Santa
- New York nursing home operator accused of neglect settles with state for $45M
- Natural gas flares sparked 2 wildfires in North Dakota, state agency says
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- In an AP interview, the next Los Angeles DA says he’ll go after low-level nonviolent crimes
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- How Kim Kardashian Navigates “Uncomfortable” Situations With Her 4 Kids
- Bodyless head washes ashore on a South Florida beach
- Fighting conspiracy theories with comedy? That’s what the Onion hopes after its purchase of Infowars
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Dogecoin soars after Trump's Elon Musk announcement: What to know about the cryptocurrency
- Olympic champion Lindsey Vonn is ending her retirement at age 40 to make a skiing comeback
- RHOBH's Erika Jayne Reveals Which Team She's on Amid Kyle Richards, Dorit Kemsley Feud
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Top Federal Reserve official defends central bank’s independence in wake of Trump win
Jon Gruden joins Barstool Sports three years after email scandal with NFL
5-year-old boy who went missing while parent was napping is found dead near Oregon home, officials say
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
Ex-Marine misused a combat technique in fatal chokehold of NYC subway rider, trainer testifies
'Red One' review: Dwayne Johnson, Chris Evans embark on a joyless search for Santa