Current:Home > reviewsRussell Wilson says Broncos had threatened benching if he didn't renegotiate contract -Capitatum
Russell Wilson says Broncos had threatened benching if he didn't renegotiate contract
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:22
Denver Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson said Friday that the team had threatened in October to bench him if he did not agree to renegotiate his contract.
Wilson told reporters that Broncos officials approached him during the team's bye week and told him "if I didn't change my contract, my injury guarantee, that I'd be benched for the rest of the year."
Wilson's $37 million salary for 2025 is guaranteed if he remains on the roster in mid-March, and an injury in the final weeks of the season would complicate the Broncos' ability to move him. Denver announced earlier this week that the 35-year-old had been benched for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Chargers.
"I was definitely disappointed about it," Wilson told reporters about the bye week conversation. "It was a process throughout the whole week, whole bye week. We just came off beating the Chiefs, played a pretty good game against the Chiefs, we just came off of that. So I was excited obviously for us, fighting for the playoffs and getting on a hot streak."
Wilson added that the NFL Players' Association and NFL "got involved" at some point. The NFL declined comment and a spokesperson for the union did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
"For me, I came here to play here, to win," Wilson added. "I knew it was going to be a process. I signed a seven-year deal, for us to go and play hard. ... I want to be here, I want to play here, I want to win championships here."
Multiple outlets reported that the Broncos had approached Wilson about revising his contract. When asked about the reports earlier Friday, Broncos coach Sean Payton demurred, saying in part that "I'm not privy to any of those (conversations)."
"I'm handling the football," Payton said. "That's something (Broncos GM) George (Paton) and the front office (handle). I'm not involved in any of that."
Payton has previously portrayed Wilson's benching as an attempt to give the offense a spark, while acknowledging that "there are economics and all those other things" in the game nowadays. Backup Jarrett Stidham will start Sunday, with Wilson as the backup.
A nine-time Pro Bowl honoree with the Seattle Seahawks, Wilson signed a five-year, $242.6 million extension with Denver after being traded there in March 2022. He struggled in his first year with the Broncos but has been more solid in 2023, completing 66.4 percent of his passes with 26 touchdowns and eight picks.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Alaska judge upholds Biden administration’s approval of the massive Willow oil-drilling project
- Man sentenced to life for fatally shooting 2 Dallas hospital workers after his girlfriend gave birth
- NFL midseason grades: Giants, Panthers both get an F
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- These are the best days of the year to shop for holiday deals on electronics
- Texas judge rules against GOP lawsuit seeking to toss 2022 election result in Houston area
- Taylor Swift's full Eras Tour setlist in South America: All 45 songs
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Abortion providers seek to broaden access to the procedure in Indiana
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Los Angeles to pay $8M to man who spent 12 years in prison for armed robberies he didn’t commit
- The Truth About Reese Witherspoon and Kevin Costner's Relationship Status
- The Excerpt podcast: More women are dying from alcohol-related causes. Why?
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- 'Women Tell All' brings 'Golden Bachelor' confessions: But first, who did Gerry send home?
- Tuohy family paid Michael Oher $138,000 from proceeds of 'The Blind Side' movie, filing shows
- Appeals court set to consider Steve Bannon's contempt of Congress conviction
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Partial list of nominees for the 66th Grammy Awards
Inflation is slowing — really. Here's why Americans aren't feeling it.
New Mexico energy regulator who led crackdown on methane pollution is leaving her post
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Embattled Missouri House speaker hires a former House speaker who pleaded guilty to assault
AP Week in Pictures: Asia
Wisconsin judge orders former chief justice to turn over records related to impeachment advice