Current:Home > StocksThe damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details -Capitatum
The damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:01:27
STOCKHOLM (AP) — The damage to a telecommunications cable running under the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Estonia was “purposeful,” Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said Tuesday but declined to be drawn on the details.
“We will not be more precise than that as of today,” Kristersson said at a press conference, after Swedish divers had investigated the seabed.
A spokesman for the Swedish Navy, Jimmie Adamsson, told Swedish public broadcaster SVT that “we see seabed tracks nearby, but we don’t know if it’s deliberate or an accident.”
On Oct. 17, Sweden reported damage to an undersea telecommunications cable that authorities believe occurred at the same time as damage to an undersea gas pipeline and telecom cable between Finland and Estonia. Swedish Civil Defense Minister Carl-Oskar Bohlin said at the time that the cause of the damage was unclear, adding that it was “not a total cable break” but “a partial damage.”
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told the press conference Tuesday with Kristersson that member countries have “tens of thousands of kilometers of internet cables, of gas pipelines over power cables, all the oil pipelines crossing the Baltic Sea, the North Sea, the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and of course, these types of undersea critical infrastructure is vulnerable.”
The military alliance was working “closely with the private sector,” Stoltenberg said, because “most of this critical infrastructure is owned by private companies, operated by private companies.”
In June, NATO launched a new center for protecting undersea pipelines and cables following the still-unsolved apparent attack on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in early 2022, amid concern Russia is mapping vital Western infrastructure for energy and the internet in waters around Europe.
On Oct. 8, Finnish and Estonian gas system operators said they noted an unusual drop in pressure in the Balticconnector pipeline — between Estonia and Finland — after which they shut down the gas flow. Two days later, the Finnish government said there was damage both to the gas pipeline and to a telecommunications cable between the two NATO countries.
“We haven’t any final conclusion on or assessment about exactly who is behind (the damage on the Sweden-Estonia cable) or whether this was intentional or not. But the NATO, together with Finland, Estonia and Sweden, are working to establish the facts. Before they are established, I’m not going to (go into) any details,” Stoltenberg said.
Estonia has said that the disruption to the Swedish-owned cable was just off the northern part of the Baltic country.
Last week, Finland’s National Bureau of Investigation - a unit of Finnish police known by its acronym NBI - said the damage on the Balticconnector pipeline in the Gulf of Finland had been caused by “an external mechanical force” and not by an explosion.
NBI said it has now focused its investigation on checking the role of a Hong Kong-flagged container vessel, saying its movements coincided with the pipeline damage. The agency said it was also probing “an extremely heavy object” that was found on the seabed.
veryGood! (86675)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- LA Police Department says YouTube account suspended after posting footage of violent attack
- 3 Sumatran tiger cubs have been born at a zoo in Nashville
- Mexico raises Hurricane Otis death toll to 43 and puts missing at 36 as search continues
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- G-7 nations back strong supply chains for energy and food despite global tensions
- Oprah chooses Let Us Descend by Jesmyn Ward as new book club pick
- North Macedonia police intercept a group of 77 migrants and arrest 7 suspected traffickers
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Unlikely hero Merrill Kelly has coming out party in Diamondbacks' World Series win
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- More help arrives in Acapulco, and hurricane’s death toll rises to 39 as searchers comb debris
- Adolis Garcia's walk-off homer in 11th inning wins World Series Game 1 for Rangers
- Erdogan opts for a low-key celebration of Turkey’s 100th anniversary as a secular republic
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Poultry companies ask judge to dismiss ruling that they polluted an Oklahoma watershed
- Travis Kelce Dances to Taylor Swift's Shake It Off at the World Series
- Poultry companies ask judge to dismiss ruling that they polluted an Oklahoma watershed
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Thank you, Taylor Swift, for helping me dominate my fantasy football league
Kentucky Derby winner Mage out of Breeders’ Cup Classic, trainer says horse has decreased appetite
Israel is reassessing diplomatic relations with Turkey due to leader’s ‘increasingly harsh’ remarks
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
In Myanmar, a Facebook post deemed inflammatory led to an ex-minister’s arrest
'Breakfast Club' host DJ Envy is being sued for alleged investment fraud
Former Vice President Mike Pence ends campaign for the White House after struggling to gain traction