Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Delaware judge cites ‘evil’ and ‘extreme cruelty’ in sentencing couple for torturing their sons -Capitatum
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Delaware judge cites ‘evil’ and ‘extreme cruelty’ in sentencing couple for torturing their sons
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 08:54:02
DOVER,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center Del. (AP) — A Delaware woman who was convicted of torturing her two stepsons with the knowledge and help of their father was sentenced Thursday to 106 years in prison by a judge who called the abuse “the most extensive and persistent evil” he has ever seen.
Mary Vinson, 46, pleaded guilty last year to 30 felony counts including kidnapping, child abuse, strangulation and reckless endangering. She had faced a minimum sentence of 30 years and a maximum of 444 years.
“I didn’t want to hurt them,” Vinson said before sentencing, taking issue with the litany of horrors outlined by prosecutor Erik Towne and with the state’s suggestion that she was “a monster.”
“It didn’t start out that way,” she said. “I loved those boys like they were my own.”
The boys’ father, Charles Vinson, 37, was also sentenced Thursday, to 49 years. He pleaded guilty to 12 felony counts and had faced a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 158 years.
Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Clarke rejected defense requests to impose the minimum sentences, citing among other things the extreme cruelty of the crimes.
Video from surveillance cameras that monitored the large closet where the boys were kept naked and starving in horrific conditions did not tell the entire story of their suffering, the judge said.
“It will be impossible for them to forget the evil done to them,” said Clarke, who refused a prosecution request to show some of the video excerpts in court. “They will carry this with them for the rest of their lives.”
Defense attorney John Malik said Charles Vinson did not like conflict and felt manipulated by his wife: “He was in the middle between his wife and his kids, and admits that he failed his sons.”
The judge noted that, while Charles Vinson was not the primary offender, he enabled the abuse, facilitated it and sometimes participated.
Charle Vinson said he took full responsibility for his actions and accepted the consequences of his “poor decisions” regarding his sons.
“I failed them, and I feel ashamed of myself to be called a father,” Vinson said.
According to prosecutors, the boys were abused over a period of 20 months starting in early 2020. One was 9 to 10 years old at the time, while the other was abused between the ages of 11 and 13.
Both were hospitalized several times for severe malnutrition, with one requiring a hospital stay of almost a month. The Division of Family Services finally took custody of the boys in October 2021.
Authorities said the abuse included making the boys stand motionless for long periods of time, withholding food and water, force-feeding, and beating and strangling them. Prosecutor Kristin Dewalt said they were forced to wash themselves with the same water used to clean up their urine and feces.
“The torture Mrs. Vinson inflicted on these children is almost indescribable,” Towne said.
Mark Hudson, representing the Office of the Child Advocate, said the boys are in foster care and doing markedly better, but they are still dealing with issues. Attempts at placing them with permanent families have proven unsuccessful, he said, with potential adopting parents declining to move forward after learning of the boys’ history.
veryGood! (271)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- 1-year-old boy killed in dog attack at Connecticut home
- Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond Denies Using Ozempic Amid Weight Loss Transformation
- HBCU internships, trips to Puerto Rico: How police are trying to boost diversity
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Cardinals land QB Desmond Ridder, send WR Rondale Moore to Falcons in trade, per reports
- Tornadoes ravage Ohio, Midwest; at least 3 dead, damage widespread
- Barbiecore? Cottagecore? What does 'core' mean in slang and why can't we stop using it
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- 50 killed in anti-sorcery rituals after being forced to drink mysterious liquid, Angola officials say
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Newly discovered giant turtle fossil named after Stephen King character
- Alec Baldwin Files Motion to Dismiss Involuntary Manslaughter Charges in Rust Shooting Case
- Chiefs stars Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce set to open steakhouse in Kansas City
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- General Hospital Actress Robyn Bernard Found Dead in Open Field
- Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin says he won’t support a budget that raises taxes
- Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter charge in Rust shooting
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes Teaming Up for Delicious New Business
Prince William and Prince Harry appear separately at ceremony honoring Princess Diana
Delaware Democrats give final approval to handgun permit-to-purchase bill
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter charge in Rust shooting
White House encourages House GOP to ‘move on’ from Biden impeachment effort
National Association of Realtors to pay $418 million to settle real estate agent commission lawsuits