Current:Home > NewsLin Wood, attorney who challenged Trump's 2020 election loss, gives up law license -Capitatum
Lin Wood, attorney who challenged Trump's 2020 election loss, gives up law license
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 08:46:10
Attorney Lin Wood, who filed legal challenges seeking to overturn Donald Trump's 2020 election loss, is relinquishing his law license, electing to retire from practicing rather than face possible disbarment. Multiple states have weighed disciplining him for pushing Trump's continued false claims that he defeated Joe Biden.
On Tuesday, Wood asked officials in his home state of Georgia to "retire" his law license in light of "disciplinary proceedings pending against me." In the request, made in a letter and posted on his Telegram account, Wood acknowledges that he is "prohibited from practicing law in this state and in any other state or jurisdiction and that I may not reapply for admission."
Wood, a licensed attorney in Georgia since 1977, did not immediately respond to an email Wednesday seeking comment on the letter. A listing on the website for the State Bar of Georgia accessed on Wednesday showed him as retired and with no disciplinary infractions on his record.
In the wake of the 2020 election, Trump praised Wood as doing a "good job" filing legal challenges seeking to overturn his loss, though Trump's campaign at times distanced itself from him. Dozens of lawsuits making such allegations were rejected by the courts across the country.
Officials in Georgia had been weighing whether to disbar Wood over his efforts, holding a disciplinary trial earlier this year. Wood sued the state bar in 2022, claiming the bar's request that he undergo a mental health evaluation as part of its probe violated his constitutional rights, but a federal appeals court tossed that ruling, saying Wood failed to show there was "bad faith" behind the request.
In 2021, the Georgia secretary of state's office opened an investigation into where Wood had been living when he voted early in person in the 2020 general election, prompted by Wood's announcement on Telegram that he had moved to South Carolina. Officials ruled that Wood did not violate Georgia election laws.
Wood, who purchased three former plantations totaling more than $16 million, moved to South Carolina several years ago, and unsuccessfully ran for chairman of that state's GOP in 2021.
In May, a Michigan watchdog group filed a complaint against Wood and eight other Trump-aligned lawyers alleging they had committed misconduct and should be disciplined for filing a lawsuit challenging Mr. Biden's 2020 election win in that state. A court previously found the attorneys' lawsuit had abused the court system.
Wood, whose name was on the 2020 Michigan lawsuit, has insisted that the only role he played was telling fellow attorney Sidney Powell he was available if she needed a seasoned litigator. Powell defended the lawsuit and said lawyers sometimes have to raise what she called "unpopular issues."
Other attorneys affiliated with efforts to keep Trump in power following his 2020 election loss have faced similar challenges. Attorney John Eastman, architect of that strategy, faces 11 disciplinary charges in the State Bar Court of California stemming from his development of a dubious legal strategy aimed at having then-Vice President Mike Pence interfere with the certification of Mr. Biden's victory.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Russia says Putin visited occupied Ukraine region as G7 condemns irresponsible nuclear rhetoric
- Flying Microchips The Size Of A Sand Grain Could Be Used For Population Surveillance
- Is The Future Of The Internet In The Metaverse?
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- People are talking about Web3. Is it the Internet of the future or just a buzzword?
- See Ryan Seacrest Crash Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos’ Oscars 2023 Date Night
- How Halle Berry and Jessica Chastain Replaced Will Smith for This Oscars 2023 Moment After 10-Year Ban
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- A hiccup at Tesla left some owners stranded and searching for the user manual
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Russia says Putin visited occupied Ukraine region as G7 condemns irresponsible nuclear rhetoric
- King Charles III's official coronation quiche recipe raises some eyebrows
- A drone company is working to airlift dogs stranded by the volcano in La Palma
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- The hidden costs of holiday consumerism
- Air France and Airbus acquitted of involuntary manslaughter in 2009 crash of Flight 447 from Brazil to Paris
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Pack on the PDA at Vanity Fair's 2023 Oscars After-Party
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Megan Fox Debuts Fiery New Look in Risqué Appearance at Oscars 2023 After-Party
Tori Spelling Reflects on Bond With Best Friend Scout Masterson 6 Months After His Death
Facebook is rebranding as Meta — but the app you use will still be called Facebook
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Here's How Chris Rock Celebrated the 2023 Oscars Far Away From Hollywood
Every Time Jimmy Kimmel and the 2023 Oscars Addressed Will Smith's Slap
Oscars 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive