Current:Home > ScamsSecond fan files lawsuit claiming ownership of Shohei Ohtani’s 50-50 baseball -Capitatum
Second fan files lawsuit claiming ownership of Shohei Ohtani’s 50-50 baseball
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:43:30
MIAMI (AP) — The claim to Shohei Ohtani’s potentially lucrative 50th home run ball grew more complicated this week, with a second fan filing a lawsuit asserting he had possession of the historic baseball.
According to online records, the latest suit was filed by Joseph Davidov in Florida’s 11th Judicial Circuit Court, and the defendants are Chris Belanski, Kelvin Ramirez, Max Matus and Goldin Auctions. Belanski is the man who left the stadium with the baseball. Matus — who filed the first lawsuit last week — and Ramirez have also claimed ownership of the ball.
Ohtani became the first player in baseball history to hit 50 homers and steal 50 bases, reaching the mark on Sept. 19 with his homer in Miami against the Marlins. The bidding for the baseball through Goldin Auctions is currently at $1.464 million.
Because of a ruling related to Matus’ lawsuit, the ball can’t be formally sold until a hearing that is scheduled for Oct. 10.
Davidov claims in his suit that he was able to “firmly and completely grab the ball in his left hand while it was on the ground, successfully obtaining possession of the 50/50 ball.”
The suit goes on to say that “an unknown fan wrongfully jumped over the railing, jumped onto the Plaintiff and Plaintiff’s arm and attacked the Plaintiff causing the 50/50 Ball to come loose and roll into the hands of Defendant Chris Belanski.”
Davidov is seeking more than $50,000 in damages.
The first lawsuit claims that Matus, a Florida resident who was celebrating his 18th birthday, gained possession of the Ohtani ball before Belanski took it away. Part of the presentation by Matus’ attorney on Oct. 10 will be video of the scramble for the ball in the stands.
“Max successfully grabbed the 50/50 ball in his left hand and intended to keep it,” the lawsuit stated. “Unfortunately, a few seconds later, defendant Belanski — a muscular older man — trapped plaintiff’s arm in between his legs and wrangled the 50/50 ball out of Max’s left hand.”
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB
veryGood! (6)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- As writers and studios resume negotiations, here are the key players in the Hollywood strikes
- At 91, Georgia’s longest serving sheriff says he won’t seek another term in 2024
- Texas teacher fired over Anne Frank graphic novel. The complaint? Sexual content
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Watch: 9-foot crocodile closes Florida beach to swimmers in 'very scary' sighting
- Detroit Auto Show underway amid historic UAW strike
- Former federal prosecutor who resigned from Trump-Russia probe says she left over concerns with Barr
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- In 'Starfield', human destiny is written in the stars
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Saudi crown prince says in rare interview ‘every day we get closer’ to normalization with Israel
- Nevada pardons board will now consider requests for posthumous pardons
- Moose charges, headbutts and stomps on woman who was walking her dog on wooded trail in Colorado
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- No Labels push in closely divided Arizona fuels Democratic anxiety about a Biden spoiler
- Exclusive clip: Oprah Winfrey talks Ozempic, being 'shamed in the tabloids' for weight
- David Beckham Netflix docuseries gets release date and trailer amid Inter Miami CF hype
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Danica McKellar Reveals Teen Love Triangle With Candace Cameron Bure and Jeremy Miller
Oklahoma man made hundreds of ghost guns for Mexican cartel
Woman, who jumped into outhouse toilet to retrieve lost Apple Watch, is rescued by police
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Angelica Ross says Ryan Murphy ghosted her, alleges transphobic comments by Emma Roberts
Gas explosion and fire at highway construction site in Romania kills 4 and injures 5
Six Palestinians are killed in latest fighting with Israel, at least 3 of them militants