Current:Home > StocksOhio crash: What we know about the charter bus, truck collision leaving 6 dead, 18 injured -Capitatum
Ohio crash: What we know about the charter bus, truck collision leaving 6 dead, 18 injured
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 11:22:30
A crash involving multiple vehicles on an Ohio interstate Tuesday, including a charter bus carrying students and chaperones headed to a school event, has left at least six people dead and 18 others injured.
The chain reaction crash occurred at 8:52 a.m. local time Tuesday, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, on the westbound lane of Interstate 70. At least three of the vehicles caught fire as a result of the crash.
The crash occurred on the westbound lane of I-70 in Licking County, which is about 40 miles east of Columbus, Ohio's capital city, where the charter bus was headed.
Here's what to know about the crash.
What happened in the crash?
The exact cause of the crash has not yet been identified, but a charter bus and a semi truck both traveling west on I-70 crashed Tuesday morning about a half-mile before the Route 310 Etna interchange.
The National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday it will be conducting an investigation into the crash, and investigators plan to be at the crash site Wednesday to begin a preliminary investigation that will produce a report in about 10 days.
According to investigators, the full, in-depth report from the crash won't be completed for another 12-18 months.
Dozens of emergency personnel were dispatched to the crash just after 9 a.m. Tuesday, and area hospitals had been placed on alert for a "mass casualty incident, level 3," indicating that 10 or more people had been injured, and there was a need for paramedics, fire crews and hospital readiness across the region.
What vehicles were involved in the crash?
The crash involved five vehicles total, Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Nate Dennis said, including a charter bus, a tractor-trailer, another commercial vehicle and two passenger vehicles.
Where was the charter bus headed?
The charter bus carrying students and chaperones was headed to the last day of the Ohio School Boards Association conference in Columbus. It was occupied by a driver and 54 students, teachers and chaperones from Tuscarawas Valley Local Schools in Zoarville, Ohio.
Who were the victims?
Three students on the bus were killed: John W. Mosely, 18, and Katelyn N. Owens, 15, both of Mineral City; and Jeffery D. Worrell, 18, of Bolivar, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol Granville Post.
A teacher and two other chaperones died after accompanying the students in one of the two passenger vehicles involved in the crash. They are: Dave Kennat, 56, of Navarre; Kristy Gaynor, 39, of Zoar; and Shannon Wigfield, 45, of Bolivar.
Conference canceled
In the wake of the crash, the Ohio School Boards Association announced they canceled the last day of the annual convention.
"Given this devastating news, we have canceled (the remainder of) our conference," an association statement read. "Right now, our focus is on providing support to Tuscarawas Valley. That includes making grief counselors from our trade show available."
What are officials and politicians saying about the Ohio crash?
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine spoke to media Tuesday at a rest stop on I-70, and said his prayers went out to everyone involved in the crash and their families. He ordered flags be flown at half-staff in Tuscarawas County, where the school students were from, and at the Statehouse in Columbus, in memory of the victims.
“This is our worst nightmare when we have a bus full of children involved in a crash and certainly the worst nightmare families can endure or a school can endure, DeWine said.
On Tuesday night, Tuscarawas Valley Superintendent Derek Varansky said school will be in session Wednesday, "but it will not be a normal day.”
A vigil was held Tuesday night at the Tuscarawas Valley High School football field, where some students involved in the crash were present.
Contributing: Bethany Bruner and Cole Behrens, Columbus Dispatch; Associated Press
veryGood! (6)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The timeless fashion style of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy
- Rep. Lloyd Doggett becomes first Democrat in Congress to call for Biden’s withdrawal from 2024 race
- Meet the diehard tennis fans camped out in Wimbledon's epic queue
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score? WNBA All-Star records double-double in loss
- Sizzling sidewalks, unshaded playgrounds pose risk for surface burns over searing Southwest summer
- Ann Wilson announces cancer diagnosis, postpones Heart tour
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- What happened in the Karen Read case? Timeline of key moments in John O'Keefe murder trial
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Appeals court rejects Broadway producer’s antitrust claim against actors’ and stage managers’ union
- The timeless fashion style of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy
- Hurricane Beryl roars toward Jamaica after killing at least 6 people in the southeast Caribbean
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Beyoncé, Tina Knowles tap Victoria Monét for new Cécred hair care video
- Arrow McLaren signs Christian Lundgaard to replace Alexander Rossi at end of IndyCar season
- Young Thug's RICO trial on hold indefinitely after judge's alleged 'improper' meeting
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Beyoncé, Tina Knowles tap Victoria Monét for new Cécred hair care video
Usher and Janet Jackson headline 30th Essence Festival of Culture
US deports 116 Chinese migrants in first ‘large’ flight in 5 years
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Federal judge blocks Mississippi law that would require age verification for websites
Ann Wilson shares cancer diagnosis, says Heart concert tour is postponed: 'This is merely a pause'
Illinois man sentenced to life in prison for his role in 2020 killings of his uncle, 2 others