Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Bureau of Prisons to close California women’s prison where inmates have been subjected to sex abuse -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Bureau of Prisons to close California women’s prison where inmates have been subjected to sex abuse
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 13:45:27
The TradeEdgefederal Bureau of Prisons said Monday it is planning to close a women’s prison in California known as the “rape club” despite attempts to reform the troubled facility after an Associated Press investigation exposed rampant staff-on-inmate sexual abuse.
Bureau of Prisons Director Colette Peters said in a statement to the AP that the agency had “taken unprecedented steps and provided a tremendous amount of resources to address culture, recruitment and retention, aging infrastructure - and most critical - employee misconduct.”
“Despite these steps and resources, we have determined that FCI Dublin is not meeting expected standards and that the best course of action is to close the facility,” Peters said. “This decision is being made after ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of those unprecedented steps and additional resources.”
FCI Dublin, about 21 miles (34 kilometers) east of Oakland, is one of six women-only federal prisons, and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains. It currently has 605 inmates — 504 inmates in its main prison and another 101 at an adjacent minimum-security camp. That’s down from a total of 760 prisoners in February 2022. The women currently housed at the prison will be transferred to other facilities and no employees will lose their jobs, Peters said.
Advocates have called for inmates to be freed from FCI Dublin, which they say is not only plagued by sexual abuse, but also has hazardous mold, asbestos and inadequate health care.
Last month, the FBI again searched the prison and the Bureau of Prisons again shook up its leadership after a warden sent to help rehabilitate the facility was accused of retaliating against a whistleblower inmate. Days later, a federal judge overseeing lawsuits against the prison, said she would appoint a special master to oversee the facility’s operations.
An AP investigation in 2021 found a culture of abuse and cover-ups that had persisted for years at the prison. That reporting led to increased scrutiny from Congress and pledges from the Bureau of Prisons that it would fix problems and change the culture at the prison.
Since 2021, at least eight FCI Dublin employees have been charged with sexually abusing inmates. Five have pleaded guilty. Two were convicted at trial, including the former warden, Ray Garcia. Another case is pending.
Last August, eight FCI Dublin inmates sued the Bureau of Prisons, alleging the agency had failed to root out sexual abuse. Amaris Montes, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said inmates continued to face retaliation for reporting abuse, including being put in solitary confinement and having belongings confiscated.
All sexual activity between a prison worker and an inmate is illegal. Correctional employees have substantial power over inmates, controlling every aspect of their lives from mealtime to lights out, and there is no scenario in which an inmate can give consent.
__
Follow Sisak at x.com/mikesisak and Balsamo at x.com/MikeBalsamo1 and send confidential tips by visiting https://www.ap.org/tips/.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Upending TV sports, ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. Discovery form joint streaming service
- Las Tormentas: L.A. County Meets a Next-Level Atmospheric River
- Jury selection starts for father accused of killing 5-year-old Harmony Montgomery
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' is a stylish take on spy marriage
- How the art world excludes you and what you can do about it
- Census Bureau backpedals on changes to disabilities questions amid backlash
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Why AP called the Nevada Democratic primary for Joe Biden
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Toby Keith dead at 62: Stars and fans pay tribute to Red Solo Cup singer
- Brittany Cartwright Reveals Where She and Stassi Schroeder Stand After Rift
- Wisconsin justice included horses in ads as vulgar joke about opponent, campaign manager says
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Super Bowl 2024 weather: Why forecast for Chiefs-49ers matchup in Las Vegas doesn't matter
- Iran-backed group claims strike on Syria base used by U.S. as Israel-Hamas war fuels risky tit-for-tat
- Former candidate who tried to recall Gov. Burgum runs again for North Dakota governor
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Jury deliberations entering 2nd day in trial of Michigan school shooter’s mom
A SWAT team sniper killed a bank hostage-taker armed with a knife, sheriff says
Did pandemic business support work?
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Man awarded $25 million after Oklahoma newspaper mistakenly identified him as sports announcer who made racist comments
Former candidate who tried to recall Gov. Burgum runs again for North Dakota governor
How Racism Flooded Alabama’s Historically Black Shiloh Community