Current:Home > NewsA woman who accused Trevor Bauer of sex assault is now charged with defrauding ex-MLB player -Capitatum
A woman who accused Trevor Bauer of sex assault is now charged with defrauding ex-MLB player
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 08:41:43
PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona woman who accused former major league pitcher Trevor Bauer of sexual assault has been charged with defrauding the baseball player.
An indictment unsealed Monday in Maricopa County Superior Court charges the woman with fraud and theft by extortion, both felonies, but doesn’t provide specific details about the alleged crimes. It says Bauer and one other person were defrauded in a scheme that potentially spanned several years.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they have been victims of sexual assault unless they come forward publicly.
The woman sued Bauer in December 2022, accusing him of rape two years earlier that she said resulted in pregnancy in late 2020.
Court records on Tuesday afternoon didn’t list an attorney for the woman in the fraud case, and the lawyer representing her in her lawsuit didn’t immediately respond to a phone message seeking additional comment.
Bauer was never arrested or charged. He countersued, saying he had one consensual sexual encounter with the woman in 2020 and then accused her of faking the pregnancy to extort money from him.
His attorneys have said that the woman made several million-dollar demands against him.
Bauer said he ultimately paid $8,761 for expenses he believed to be related to the woman’s reported pregnancy and its subsequent termination.
The woman later said that she ultimately decided not to terminate the pregnancy, but had a miscarriage.
She is scheduled to be arraigned on the criminal charges next Friday.
In a recorded video statement released Tuesday, Bauer said he is innocent.
“What else do I have to do to prove that this entire situation has been a massive lie? This is insane,” he said. “At what point do I get to go back to work and continue earning a living?”
Bauer has been trying to revive his major league career after serving a suspension for violating the league’s domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy. He was suspended after another woman accused him of beating and sexually abusing her — an accusation the pitcher also denied.
He was released by the Los Angeles Dodgers in January 2023 and played last year with the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of Japan’s Pacific League. He signed a deal this spring to pitch five games for Mexico’s Diablos Rojos and made his first appearance in a spring exhibition against the New York Yankees.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
veryGood! (713)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Billy Joel isn’t ready to retire. What’s next after his Madison Square Garden residency?
- 'America's Sweethearts': Why we can't look away from the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders docuseries
- Hungary's far right Prime Minister Viktor Orbán visits Trump in Mar-a-Lago after NATO summit
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Houston community groups strain to keep feeding and cooling a city battered by repeat storms
- Potentially dozens of Democrats expected to call on Biden to step aside after NATO conference
- Nordstrom Quietly Put Tons of SKIMS Styles on Sale Up to 61% Off— Here's What I’m Shopping
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- After embrace at NATO summit, Zelenskyy takes his case for US military aid to governors
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Shop Incredible Revolve Flash Deals: $138 House of Harlow Dress for $28, $22 Jennifer Lopez Shoes & More
- Houston hospitals report spike in heat-related illness during widespread storm power outages
- MOD Pizza has new owner after closing 44 restaurants amid bankruptcy rumors
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Wisconsin Republicans to open new Hispanic outreach center
- Beastie Boys sue Chili's parent company for copyright infringement
- Biden, Jeffries meet as some House Democrats call on him to leave 2024 campaign
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Peter Navarro, Trump ex-aide jailed for contempt of Congress, will address RNC, AP sources say
Beastie Boys sue Chili's parent company for copyright infringement
Trucker describes finding ‘miracle baby’ by the side of a highway in Louisiana
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
5 people escape hot, acidic pond after SUV drove into inactive geyser in Yellowstone National Park
Meta AI comment summaries is turned on in your settings by default: How to turn it off
DWTS' Peta Murgatroyd Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 3 With Maks Chmerkovskiy