Current:Home > MyLaw limiting new oil wells in California set to take effect after industry withdraws referendum -Capitatum
Law limiting new oil wells in California set to take effect after industry withdraws referendum
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 00:01:42
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A California law that bans drilling new oil wells near places like homes and schools will take effect soon after the oil industry said it would withdraw a referendum from the November ballot asking voters to block it.
The law, first passed in 2022, never took effect because the California Independent Petroleum Association gathered enough signatures to place a referendum on the ballot asking voters to overturn it.
The association announced Wednesday it would withdraw the referendum. Instead, they plan to file a lawsuit to ask a judge to block the law.
The announcement shakes up what has been a crowded ballot in November. Both sides had been gearing up for what would have been an expensive campaign.
California was once the nation’s leading oil producer over a century ago, but has since been surpassed by Texas, New Mexico, North Dakota, Colorado, Alaska and Oklahoma. Still, the oil industry has remained a powerful force in state politics, known for having its way at the state Legislature.
But the industry’s power has been declining, along with the state’s oil production. The law California passed in 2022 bans drilling new wells within 3,200 feet (975 meters) of “sensitive receptors,” defined as homes, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, retirement homes, prisons and any business that is open to the public.
In asking voters to block the law, the oil industry’s strategy was to portray the it as an “energy shutdown.” They said it would only increase the state’s dependence on foreign oil and contribute to California’s high gas prices, which remain among the highest in the country. Supporters of the law countered by saying these oil wells spew harmful pollution into the air that increase the risk things like asthma and cancer.
The California Independent Petroleum Association disputed those claims. But they decided that “supporters of the energy shutdown can make unfounded claims in the press and in paid advertisements, but they can’t make those claims in court without evidence,” said Jonathan Gregory, the association’s president and the CEO of the oil and gas company RMX Resources.
“That’s why we are pivoting from the referendum to a legal strategy,” Gregory said.
Supporters took the news as an admission of defeat from the oil industry. In March, they had launched a statewide campaign to support keeping the law, a campaign backed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jane Fonda and Gov. Gavin Newsom.
“Big oil saw what they were up against — and they folded, again,” Newsom said. “No parent in their right mind would vote to allow drilling next to daycares and playgrounds.”
The state Legislature had been applying pressure to the oil industry, too. Assemblymember Isaac Bryan, a Democrat from Los Angeles whose district includes the largest urban oil field in the United States, had introduced a bill that would have fined oil companies $10,000 per day from operating oil wells near homes and schools that produced less than 15 barrels per day.
Bryan, in an interview, said he agreed to limit the scope of that bill to just the oil field in his district, known as the Inglewood Oil Field.
“That was the gift from me to them in exchange for them agreeing to pull back this measure,” Bryan said.
State Sen. Lena Gonzalez, a Democrat from Long Beach who authored the ban on new oil wells, said the law finally taking effect would mean cleaner air for her community, which includes her three sons.
“I never thought this would actually happen because of the power and influence sometimes in this building,” she said. “This time, oil didn’t win, and this time our community won.”
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Travis Barker's Ex Shanna Moakler Defends Daughter Alabama's Rap Career
- Savannah considers Black people and women for city square to replace name of slavery advocate
- Tia Mowry's Past Breastfeeding Struggles Are All Too Relatable
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- California judge who’s charged with murder texted court staff that he shot his wife, prosecutors say
- Dunkin Donuts announces new spiked coffee, tea lines. The internet reacts.
- Los Angeles Dodgers retire Fernando Valenzuela's No. 34 jersey in 'long overdue' ceremony
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Why Brody Jenner Says He Wants to be “Exact Opposite” of Dad Caitlyn Jenner Amid Fatherhood Journey
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- 'Feisty queen:' Atlanta zoo mourns Biji the orangutan, who lived to an 'exceptional' age
- Virginia player wounded in deadly attack returns for a new season as an inspiration to his teammates
- Mick Fleetwood says his restaurant has been lost in Maui wildfires: We are heartbroken
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- 14-year-old boy rescued after falling 70 feet from Grand Canyon cliff
- Las Vegas police videos show man, woman detained during home raid in Tupac Shakur cold case: Please don't shoot me
- Rescued walrus calf that was receiving cuddles as part of his care in Alaska dies
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Court dismisses challenge to Biden’s restoration of Utah monuments shrunk by Trump
Niger’s junta gains upper hand over regional bloc threatening military force, analysts say
When a Steel Plant Closed in Pittsburgh, Cardiovascular ER Visits Plunged
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
The failed Ohio amendment reflects Republican efforts nationally to restrict direct democracy
Rising political threats take US into uncharted territory as 2024 election looms
Full-time UPS drivers will earn $170,000 a year, on average, in new contract, CEO says