Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|DHS announces new campaign to combat "unimaginable horror" of child exploitation and abuse online -Capitatum
Algosensey|DHS announces new campaign to combat "unimaginable horror" of child exploitation and abuse online
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 12:28:12
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas announced Wednesday a public awareness campaign to address online child exploitation and Algosenseyabuse that he called an "unimaginable horror."
"We just have to raise awareness and teach children, and everyone around them, how to recognize the predators, when they are about to be victimized, how to protect themselves and what to do," Mayorkas said on "CBS Mornings" on Wednesday.
The new campaign, Know2Protect, works with partners from the public and private sector to educate parents and their children on how to combat and report exploitation, along with how to support victims amid rising rates of abuse in recent years.
"Prevention is just the first line, but we also have to make sure that if something occurs, we remediate," Mayorkas said. "Those children come forward, the parents come forward, and we can address it, not only to help the victim, but also to hold the perpetrators accountable."
Among the agency's partners are tech giants including Google and Meta, which will provide users with information about the campaign on their platforms, along with sporting league partners like NASCAR and the NFL and other organizations like the Boy Scouts of America. DHS is also partnering with various law enforcement officials to continue to develop relevant training programs for law enforcement.
Meta's Global Head of Safety Antigone Davis said on "CBS Mornings" that while the tech company takes a number of measures to prevent the abuse online, they hope to work with parents and partners to help protect kids further.
"We're not trying to pass the buck to parents, but we all need to work together — whether that's DHS, whether it's us, whether it's parents to help protect kids online."
With the announcement, DHS also released resources for parents like an internet safety checklist and tips for protecting kids and teens online, including advice on password protections, privacy settings and location services.
The campaign, which marks the federal government's first prevention and awareness campaign to address online child sexual exploitation, comes amid a rise in reports of sexual exploitation of children in recent years. Last year, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children reported more than 36 million reports of suspected child sexual exploitation, up 12% from the previous year. The Biden administration and lawmakers in Congress have sought to implement safeguards for children in an increasingly online world with rapid technological advancements.
During a fiery Senate hearing in January, leaders of prominent social media companies were reprimanded by lawmakers for not doing enough to protect kids from being sexually exploited online, as members of Congress have worked largely unsuccessfully to approve legislation in recent years to regulate social media companies.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (11824)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Love is in the Cart With This $111 Deal on a $349 Kate Spade Bag and Other 80% Discounts You’ll Adore
- Clock ticking for Haslam family to sell stake in Pilot truck stops to Berkshire Hathaway this year
- CES 2024 kicks off in Las Vegas soon: What to know about the consumer technology show
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet's PDA-Packed Date Night at the 2024 Golden Globes
- 49ers at Dolphins, Bills at Ravens headline unveiled 2024 NFL schedule of opponents
- St. Croix reports island-wide power outage forcing officials to close schools and offices
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Commanders fire coach Ron Rivera as new ownership begins making changes
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- 2 dead, 1 injured in fire at Port Houston
- Franz Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup both as player and coach for Germany, has died at 78
- Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb to deliver 2024 State of the State address
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Rays shortstop Wander Franco released from Dominican jail amid ongoing investigation
- Hong Kongers in Taiwan firmly support the ruling party after watching China erode freedoms at home
- Cable car brought down by fallen tree in Austrian skiing area, injuring 4 people on board
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Bradley Cooper, Charles Melton and More Stars Who Brought Their Moms to the 2024 Golden Globes
LGBTQ+ advocates’ lawsuit says Louisiana transgender care ban violates the state constitution
Belarus refuses to invite OSCE observers to monitor this year’s parliamentary election
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Grizzlies star Ja Morant will have shoulder surgery, miss remainder of season
Emergency at 3 miles high: Alaska Airlines pilots, passengers kept calm after fuselage blowout
JetBlue’s CEO is stepping down, and he’ll be replaced by the first woman to lead a big US airline