Current:Home > ContactGunmen abduct volunteer searcher looking for her disappeared brother, kill her husband and son -Capitatum
Gunmen abduct volunteer searcher looking for her disappeared brother, kill her husband and son
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 11:46:38
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Gunmen burst into a home in central Mexico and abducted one of the volunteer searchers looking for the country’s 114,000 disappeared and killed her husband and son, authorities said Wednesday.
Search activist Lorenza Cano was abducted from her home in the city of Salamanca, in the north central state of Guanajuato, which has the highest number of homicides in Mexico.
Cano’s volunteer group, Salamanca United in the Search for the Disappeared, said late Tuesday the gunmen shot Cano’s husband and adult son in the attack the previous day.
State prosecutors confirmed husband and son were killed, and that Cano remained missing.
At least seven volunteer searchers have been killed in Mexico since 2021. The volunteer searchers often conduct their own investigations —often relying on tips from former criminals — because the government has been unable to help.
The searchers usually aren’t trying to convict anyone for their relatives’ abductions; they just want to find their remains.
Cabo had spent the last five years searching for her brother, José Cano Flores, who disappeared in 2018. Nothing has been heard of him since then. On Tuesday, Lorenza Cano’s photo appeared on a missing persons’ flyer, similar to that of her brother’s.
Guanajuato state has been the deadliest in Mexico for years, because of bloody turf battles between local gangs and the Jalisco New Generation cartel.
The Mexican government has spent little on looking for the missing. Volunteers must stand in for nonexistent official search teams in the hunt for clandestine graves where cartels hide their victims. The government hasn’t adequately funded or implemented a genetic database to help identify the remains found.
Victims’ relatives rely on anonymous tips — sometimes from former cartel gunmen — to find suspected body-dumping sites. They plunge long steel rods into the earth to detect the scent of death.
If they find something, the most authorities will do is send a police and forensics team to retrieve the remains, which in most cases are never identified.
It leaves the volunteer searchers feeling caught between two hostile forces: murderous drug gangs and a government obsessed with denying the scale of the problem.
In July, a drug cartel used a fake report of a mass grave to lure police into a deadly roadside bomb attack that killed four police officers and two civilians in Jalisco state.
An anonymous caller had given a volunteer searcher a tip about a supposed clandestine burial site near a roadway in Tlajomulco, Jalisco. The cartel buried improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, on the road and then detonated them as a police convoy passed. The IEDS were so powerful they destroyed four vehicles, injured 14 people and left craters in the road.
It is not entirely clear who killed the six searchers slain since 2021. Cartels have tried to intimidate searchers in the past, especially if they went to grave sites that were still being used.
Searchers have long sought to avoid the cartels’ wrath by publicly pledging that they are not looking for evidence to bring the killers to justice, that they simply want their children’s bodies back.
Searchers also say that repentant or former members of the gangs are probably the most effective source of information they have.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Proof Emma Stone Doesn’t Have Bad Blood With Taylor Swift’s Ex Joe Alwyn
- Andy Cohen Addresses John Mayer Dating Rumors
- Husband of Florida woman who went missing in Spain arrested in her disappearance
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Ukraine says Russian plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelenskyy thwarted
- Tornadoes tear through southeastern US as storms leave 3 dead
- Aerie's Swim Sale Is Up To 40% Off & It Will Have You Ready To Soak Up Some Sun (& Savings)
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Feds have ‘significant safety concerns’ about Ford fuel leak recall and demand answers about the fix
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Cardi B Responds to Criticism After Referring to Met Gala Designer Sensen Lii By Race Instead of Name
- Judge orders community service, fine for North Dakota lawmaker tied to building controversy
- How many NBA MVPs does Nikola Jokic have? Denver Nuggets big man picks up third of career
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Union push pits the United Farm Workers against a major California agricultural business
- NCAA removes cap on official recruiting visits in basketball to deal with unlimited transfers
- Miss USA, Miss Teen USA resignations: A reminder of beauty pageants' controversial history
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
RFK Jr. says he suffered from a parasitic brain worm and mercury poisoning
Trucker acquitted in deadly crash asks for license back, but state says he contributed to accident
Walmart's Sale Outdid Itself: Shop Serious Deals on Apple, Ninja, Shark, Nespresso & More Top Name Brands
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
2 young children die after being swept away by fast-flowing California creek
Shaquille O'Neal Reacts to Ex Shaunie Henderson Saying She's Not Sure She Ever Loved Him
Pete McCloskey, GOP congressman who once challenged Nixon, dies at 96