Current:Home > MyThe Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing -Capitatum
The Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:13:32
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The iconic Mirage hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip will shut its doors this summer, the end of an era for a property credited with helping transform Sin City into an ultra-luxury resort destination.
The July 17 closure will clear the way for major renovations and construction on the 80-acre (32-hectare) property, which is to reopen in 2027 as the Hard Rock Las Vegas, featuring a hotel tower in the shape of a guitar soaring nearly 700 feet (about 210 meters) above the heart of the Strip.
“We’d like to thank the Las Vegas community and team members for warmly welcoming Hard Rock after enjoying 34 years at The Mirage,” Jim Allen, chairman of Hard Rock International, said Wednesday in a statement announcing the closure.
It will be the second time this year that a Strip casino shutters. The Tropicana Las Vegas closed in April after 67 years to make room for a $1.5 billion baseball stadium planned as the future home of the relocating Oakland A’s.
Developed by former casino mogul Steve Wynn, the Mirage opened with a Polynesian theme as the Strip’s first megaresort in 1989, spurring a building boom on the famous boulevard through the 1990s.
Its volcano fountain was one of the first sidewalk attractions, predating the Venetian’s canals and the Bellagio’s dancing fountains. It was known as a venue where tourists could see Siegfried and Roy taming white tigers or a Cirque du Soleil act set to a Beatles soundtrack.
The final curtain on the Beatles-themed show, which brought Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr back together for public appearances throughout its 18-year run, also comes down in July.
Hard Rock International said Wednesday that more than 3,000 employees will be laid off and it expects to pay out $80 million in severance.
The Culinary Workers Union, which has represented about 1,700 employees at the Mirage since it opened, said in a statement that the contract it won last year ensures laid-off workers will get $2,000 for each year of service. The contract also gives them the option of being called back to work and maintaining their seniority when the hotel reopens.
“Culinary Union will continue to ensure workers are protected and centered in the property’s future,” the statement said.
The Mirage became the first Strip property to be run by a Native American tribe in 2022, after Hard Rock International, which is owned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, purchased it from MGM Resorts in a cash deal worth nearly $1.1 billion.
Hard Rock said at the time that the property would remain open and operate under the Mirage brand for several years while it finalized renovation plans.
The Mirage is accepting no bookings for after July 14 and said any reservations past that date will be canceled and refunded.
veryGood! (88796)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Hailey Bieber Just Added a Dominatrix Twist to Her LBD
- Federal Reserve minutes: Too-high inflation, still a threat, could require more rate hikes
- Fresh look at DNA from glacier mummy Oetzi the Iceman traces his roots to present day Turkey
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Armed Utah man shot by FBI last week carried AR-15 in 2018 police encounter, records show
- Lily Allen Reveals Her Dad Called the Police When She Lost Her Virginity at Age 12
- New Jersey Supreme Court rules in favor of Catholic school that fired unwed pregnant teacher
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Armed Utah man shot by FBI last week carried AR-15 in 2018 police encounter, records show
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Cell phone photos and some metadata. A son's search for his mother in Maui
- Russian shelling in Ukraine's Kherson region kills 7, including 23-day-old baby
- Lahaina natives describe harrowing scene as Maui wildfire raged on: It's like a bomb went off
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- What to know about Team USA in the FIBA World Cup: Schedule, format, roster and more
- What happens when a narcissist becomes a parent? They force their kids into these roles.
- A former fundraiser for Rep. George Santos has been charged with wire fraud and identity theft
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Man sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault of girl during remote-learning class
Adele breaks down in tears as she reveals sex of a couple's baby: 'That's so emotional'
Target's sales slump for first time in 6 years. Executives blame strong reaction to Pride merch.
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Armed Utah man shot by FBI last week carried AR-15 in 2018 police encounter, records show
See Matthew McConaughey and 15-Year-Old Son Levi Team Up in Support of Maui Wildfires Relief
These states are still sending out stimulus checks