Current:Home > MarketsJudge in Trump's classified docs case questions use of out-of-district grand jury -Capitatum
Judge in Trump's classified docs case questions use of out-of-district grand jury
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 12:12:13
The judge overseeing former President Donald Trump's classified documents case is raising questions about special counsel Jack Smith's use of an out-of-district grand jury to conduct his probe.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon is demanding answers from Smith on his office's use of another grand jury to purportedly continue to investigate Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents after leaving office, even though Trump has already been indicted on charges by a separate grand jury impaneled in Florida.
The development came in a stinging ruling Judge Cannon issued Monday morning, in which she ordered two sealed filings submitted by Smith on her docket struck from the record.
MORE: 'The boss' wants server deleted: New allegations emerge in Trump indictment
The filings were tied to the motion from Smith's team last week seeking a hearing on potential conflicts of interest that could arise due to the lawyer for Trump aide and co-defendant Walt Nauta -- who was charged in the indictment along with Trump -- also representing other witnesses who could be called against Nauta in the case.
"The Special Counsel states in conclusory terms that the supplement should be sealed from public view 'to comport with grand jury secrecy,' but the motion for leave and the supplement plainly fail to satisfy the burden of establishing a sufficient legal or factual basis to warrant sealing the motion and supplement," Cannon said in the ruling.
Cannon, in the ruling, then asked for Nauta's attorney, Stanley Woodward, to file a motion stating his concerns about "the legal propriety of using an out-of-district grand jury proceeding to continue to investigate and/or to seek post-indictment hearings on matters pertinent to the instant indicted matter in this district."
Cannon said that motion, as well as any related motions from Trump's attorneys, is due by Aug. 17.
Cannon's order didn't directly explain why she is seeking arguments at this juncture regarding the legality of using an out-of-district grand jury.
The judge then ordered the special counsel to reply on or before Aug. 22.
Although Cannon doesn't specify the location of the other grand jury, ABC News has previously reported that sealed proceedings in the classified documents probe were heard by a grand jury in Washington, D.C.
Trump pleaded not guilty in June to 37 criminal counts related to his handling of classified materials, after prosecutors said he repeatedly refused to return hundreds of documents containing classified information ranging from U.S. nuclear secrets to the nation's defense capabilities, and took steps to thwart the government's efforts to get the documents back.
Nauta, his longtime aide, also pleaded not guilty to related charges.
A superseding indictment subsequently charged Trump, Nauta, and Carlos De Oliveira, the head of maintenance at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate, with two obstruction counts based on allegations that the defendants attempted to delete surveillance video footage at Mar-a-Lago in the summer of 2022.
Trump has denied all charges and denounced the probe as a political witch hunt.
veryGood! (35229)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Why OKC Thunder's Lu Dort has been MVP of NBA playoffs vs. New Orleans Pelicans
- WWE Draft 2024 results: Stars, NXT talent selected on 'Friday Night SmackDown'
- 20 Cambodian soldiers killed in ammunition explosion at a military base
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Banana Republic Factory’s Spring Sale Is Here With up to 70% off Colorful Spring Staples & More
- How to design a volunteering program in your workplace
- CDC: Deer meat didn't cause hunters' deaths; concerns about chronic wasting disease remain
- 'Most Whopper
- Hamas says it's reviewing an Israel cease-fire proposal as pressure for peace mounts
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Tornadoes kill 2 in Oklahoma as governor issues state of emergency for 12 counties amid storm damage
- Seeking engagement and purpose, corporate employees turn to workplace volunteering
- Alaska’s Indigenous teens emulate ancestors’ Arctic survival skills at the Native Youth Olympics
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Jury finds Wisconsin man guilty in killing, sexual assault of 20-month-old girl
- Chic & Comfy Maxi Skirts That Will Effortlessly Elevate Your Summer Style
- Virginia EMT is latest U.S. tourist arrested in Turks and Caicos after ammo allegedly found in luggage
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Harvey Weinstein hospitalized after his return to New York from upstate prison
WWE Draft 2024 results: Stars, NXT talent selected on 'Friday Night SmackDown'
Planned Parenthood announces $10 million voter campaign in North Carolina for 2024 election
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Are you losing your hair? A dermatologist breaks down some FAQs.
Retrial of Harvey Weinstein unlikely to occur soon, if ever, experts say
Washington mom charged with murder, accused of stabbing son repeatedly pleads not guilty