Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:35
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have SafeX Pro Exchangeto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Women-Owned Brands Our Editors Love: Skincare, Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- As electric vehicle sales slow, US relaxes plans for stricter auto emissions standards for a while
- Missing college student's debit card found along Nashville river; police share new video
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Beyoncé Reveals She Made Cowboy Carter After “Very Clear” Experience of Not Feeling Welcomed
- Movie armorer challenges conviction in fatal shooting of cinematographer by Alec Baldwin
- MLB 2024: Splashy Ohtani, Yamamoto signings boost Dodgers as teams try to dethrone Rangers
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Which NCAA women's basketball teams are in March Madness 2024? See the full list by conference.
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Jackpot nears $700M. Could the Powerball numbers 3/18/24 help lead you to the next winners?
- Hope for Israel-Hamas war truce tempered by growing rift between Netanyahu and his U.S. and European allies
- Earlier Springs Have Cascading Effects on Animals, Plants and Pastimes
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- A newspaper says video of Prince William and Kate should halt royal rumor mill. That’s a tall order
- Remains of WWII soldier from Alabama accounted for 8 decades after German officer handed over his ID tags
- First flight of Americans from Haiti lands at Miami International Airport to escape chaos
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Baby giraffe dies of a broken neck at Zoo Miami
Dr. Dre says he had 3 strokes while in hospital for brain aneurysm: Makes you appreciate being alive
Arizona lawmaker says she plans to have an abortion after learning her pregnancy isn’t viable
Trump's 'stop
Missing Wisconsin toddler's blanket found weeks after he disappeared
Last suspect in Philadelphia bus stop shooting that wounded 8 is captured in Virginia
Pro-Trump attorney released from custody after promising to turn herself in on Michigan warrant