Current:Home > ContactJudge issues interim stay of New York AG's $250M fraud suit against Trump: Sources -Capitatum
Judge issues interim stay of New York AG's $250M fraud suit against Trump: Sources
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 11:28:58
A New York appellate judge on Thursday issued an interim stay of the state attorney general's $250 million civil fraud lawsuit against former President Donald Trump that is scheduled to go on trial Oct. 2, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.
The judge's order was issued during a previously unscheduled virtual hearing that was not open to the public.
The Appellate Division's First Department will now hear Trump's request to delay the trial.
MORE: New York AG seeks legal sanctions against Trump as part of $250M lawsuit
Responding to the ruling, Attorney General Letitia James said, "We are confident in our case and will be ready for trial."
Whether the trial starts as scheduled next month will depend on how quickly the panel hears the arguments and renders a decision.
Before trial can start, Trump's attorneys said that Judge Arthur Engoron is obliged to decide whether the attorney general's case -- which covers more than a decade of allegedly fraudulent business conduct -- should be narrowed. Trump's legal team has argued some of the real estate transactions are too old to be considered.
Trump's team is now taking the aggressive step of suing Engoron to force him to rule.
Engoron has said the trial would start on Oct. 2 "come hell or high water."
James last year brought the $250 million lawsuit against Trump, his children and his company that accuses them of "grossly" inflating the former president's net worth by billions of dollars and cheating lenders and others with false and misleading financial statements.
Trump has denied all wrongdoing.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Giants' season is already spiraling out of control after latest embarrassment in prime time
- Powerball jackpot reaches $1.04 billion. Here's how Monday's drawing became the fourth largest.
- Celebrate October 3 With These 15 Secrets About Mean Girls
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Washington state minimum wage moving up to $16.28 per hour
- FDA investigating baby's death linked to probiotic given by hospital
- LeBron James Shares How Son Bronny's Medical Emergency Put Everything in Perspective
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Bear attacks, injures woman in Montana west of Glacier park near Canadian border
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Adoptive parents charged with felony neglect after 3 children found alone in dangerous conditions
- Horoscopes Today, October 2, 2023
- 'Wild 'N Out' star Jacky Oh's cause of death revealed
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Fuller picture emerges of the 13 federal executions at the end of Trump’s presidency
- South Asia is expected to grow by nearly 6% this year, making it the world’s fastest-growing region
- Kidnapping suspect who left ransom note also gave police a clue — his fingerprints
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Nobels season resumes with Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awarding the prize in physics
At least 10 killed as church roof collapses in Mexico, officials say
Cigna to pay $172 million to settle charges it overcharged Medicare Advantage plans
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
It's not all bad news: Wonderful and wild stories about tackling climate change
Conspiracy theories about FEMA’s Oct. 4 emergency alert test spread online
Judge says freestanding birth centers in Alabama can remain open, despite ‘de facto ban’