Current:Home > FinanceFBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings -Capitatum
FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 17:49:49
RUIDOSO, N.M. (AP) — Full-time residents of Ruidoso will be allowed to return to their village Monday morning as federal authorities seek to prosecute whoever started a pair of New Mexico wildfires that killed two people and destroyed or damaged more than 1,400 structures.
The FBI said it is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrests and convictions of those responsible for the South Fork Fire and Salt Fire in southern New Mexico, which forced thousands to flee.
The federal agency also said it was seeking public assistance in identifying the cause of the fires discovered June 17 near the village of Ruidoso.
But the notice also pointedly suggested human hands were to blame, saying the reward was for information leading to the arrest and conviction of “the person or persons responsible for starting the fires.
Lincoln County Manager Randall Camp said at a news conference Saturday that “we are approaching a thousand homes lost” in the fires.
President Joe Biden issued a disaster declaration for parts of southern New Mexico on Thursday. The move freed up funding and more resources to help with recovery efforts including temporary housing, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property and other emergency work in Lincoln County and on lands belonging to the Mescalero Apache Tribe.
The National Interagency Fire Center said the South Fork Fire, which reached 26 square miles (67 square kilometers), was 31% contained Sunday. It said the Salt Fire that has spread over 12 square miles (31 square kilometers) was now 7% contained.
Both fires had been at zero containment Friday. Full containment isn’t expected until July 15, according to fire officials.
More than 1,100 firefighters continued to fight the flames in steep and rocky terrain Sunday.
The South Fork and Salt fires are still burning on both sides of Ruidoso and a threat of flash floods still looms over the village.
Authorities said downed power lines, damaged water, sewer and gas lines plus flooding in burn scars continued to pose risks to firefighters and the public.
New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham toured some of the disaster area Saturday with Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Deanne Criswell.
Even with federal and state assistance on the table, Ruidoso Mayor Lynn Crawford estimates it could take at least five years for the area to fully recover.
Ruidoso officials said those wanting to return home Monday must bring drinking water and at least a week’s worth of food. They warned residents that homes may be without gas, electricity or water.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- 90 Day Fiancé’s Mary Denucciõ Clarifies She Does Not Have Colon Cancer Despite Announcement
- 'I'll send a plane': Garth Brooks invites Travis Kelce to sing 'Low Places' at his new bar
- Georgia GOP senators seek to ban sexually explicit books from school libraries, reduce sex education
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- HIV/AIDS activist Hydeia Broadbent, known for her inspirational talks as a young child, dies at 39
- The Excerpt: Crime stats show improvement. Why do so many believe it's never been worse?
- Woman's body found on Arkansas roadside 'partially decomposed' in plastic bag: Reports
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Two steps forward, one step back: NFL will have zero non-white offensive coordinators
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews becomes fastest US-born player to 50 goals
- United flight diverted to Chicago due to reported bomb threat
- Normani (finally) announces long-awaited debut solo album 'Dopamine'
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Going on 30 years, an education funding dispute returns to the North Carolina Supreme Court
- Guilty plea from the man accused of kidnapping a 9-year-old girl from an upstate New York park
- Kentucky's second-half defensive collapse costly in one-point road loss to LSU
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Zendaya Slyly Comments on Boyfriend Tom Holland’s “Rizz”
Youngkin, Earle-Sears join annual anti-abortion demonstration in Richmond
I Took a Deep Dive into Lululemon’s We Made Too Much Section – Here Are the New Finds & Hidden Gems
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Rescuers battle to save a baby elephant trapped in a well
Restaurant worker is rewarded for hard work with a surprise visit from her Marine daughter
Leaked document trove shows a Chinese hacking scheme focused on harassing dissidents