Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:White House perplexed by Netanyahu claims that U.S. is withholding weapons -Capitatum
Poinbank:White House perplexed by Netanyahu claims that U.S. is withholding weapons
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:06:55
The PoinbankWhite House, State Department, and Pentagon say they do not know what Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was talking about when he said this week that Secretary of State Antony Blinken was working to remove "bottlenecks" holding up weapons shipments to Israel. But one U.S. official offered an explanation for the Israeli leader's accusation.
Netanyahu, in a video released Tuesday, said he told Blinken it's inconceivable that in the past few months, the administration has been withholding weapons and ammunition from Israel.
The U.S. has been reviewing one shipment of 2,000-pound and 500-pound bombs since May. As Israel was preparing for a major offensive in Rafah, the Biden administration paused the shipment because, as President Biden put it in an interview last month, "Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a consequence of those bombs.
"I'm not supplying the weapons that have been used historically to deal with Rafah," Mr. Biden said. However, the administration said the U.S. would continue to support the Iron Dome, the system that protects Israel from rocket fire, and ensure Israel is able to "respond to attacks" originating in the Middle East. The Pentagon says the U.S. has continued to send weapons to Israel in the weeks since.
According to the U.S. official, Netanyahu's remarks in the video are apparently based on IDF chief of staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi's belief that the U.S. is slow-rolling Israel on smaller-ticket items like aircraft spare parts. However, the official insists there's been no such delay, except for the shipment of 2,000-pound bombs, which were about to leave an East Coast weapons depot by ship when the delivery was halted in early May. They were about to leave an East coast weapons depot by ship when the delivery was halted. Israel doesn't need them for Gaza, but it would if the conflict in Lebanon escalates further.
However, the official also said, "The Israelis haven't come close to achieving their objective of destroying Hamas" in the war that began with Hamas' Oct. 7 massacre in southern Israel of over a thousand Israelis. Hundreds of fighters and miles of unexplored tunnels remain, and Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar is still at large, according to this official. Since Israel has no "day after" plan, the current strategy is "a recipe for continuous war," the official said.
Netanyahu's claim about U.S. weapons shipment delays comes as fighting has escalated between Israel and Hezbollah on Israel's border with Lebanon. Israel and the Iran-backed group have been exchanging fire since October, but the attacks from both sides have increased in recent weeks and are threatening to open up a wider regional war that the Biden administration has been trying for months to avoid. This official believes that an Israeli decision on whether to go into Lebanon will come at the end of July.
John Kirby, the White House national security communications adviser, told reporters Thursday the administration didn't know about Netanyahu's video in advance and said it was "perplexing" and "disappointing."
"There's no other country that's done more, or will continue to do more than the United States to help Israel defend itself," Kirby said.
In a statement released by his office Thursday, Netanyahu said, "I am ready to suffer personal attacks provided that Israel receives from the U.S. the ammunition it needs in the war for its existence."
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Benjamin Netanyahu
Eleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (91)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Treasure trove recovered from ancient shipwrecks 5,000 feet underwater in South China Sea
- You may owe the IRS money on Monday — skipping payment could cost you hundreds of dollars
- Elephant in Thailand unexpectedly gives birth to rare set of miracle twins
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Wildfire north of Los Angeles spreads as authorities issue evacuation orders
- 'Inside Out 2' spoilers! How the movie ending will tug on your heartstrings
- Motorcycle riding has long been male-dominated. Now, women are taking the wheel(s)
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Taylor Swift says Eras Tour will end in December
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is perfect man as conference pursues selling naming rights
- Marco Rubio says Trump remark on immigrants poisoning the blood of U.S. wasn't about race
- On Father’s Day, this LGBTQ+ couple celebrates the friend who helped make their family dream reality
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Q&A: Choked by Diesel Pollution From Generators, Cancer Rates in Beirut Surge by 30 Percent
- Argentina men’s national team friendly vs. Guatemala: Messi scores goal, how to live stream
- Judge issues ruling in bankruptcy case of Deion Sanders' son Shilo
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Southern Baptists voted this week on women pastors, IVF and more: What happened?
NY governor’s subway mask ban proposal sparks debate over right to anonymous protest
Luka Doncic shows maturity in responding to criticism with terrific NBA Finals Game 4
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Missouri woman’s murder conviction tossed after 43 years. Her lawyers say a police officer did it
Louisiana US Rep. Garret Graves won’t seek reelection, citing a new congressional map
Residents, communities preparing for heat wave that will envelop Midwest, Northeast next week