Current:Home > ScamsChicago mayor names new school board after entire panel resigns amid a fight over district control -Capitatum
Chicago mayor names new school board after entire panel resigns amid a fight over district control
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 01:48:42
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson appointed a new school board Monday, days after all seven members resigned amid an escalating fight over control of the public schools in the nation’s third-largest city.
Johnson has been trying to oust Chicago Public Schools CEO Pedro Martinez, who was named to the job in 2021 by Johnson’s predecessor, former Mayor Lori Lightfoot. Johnson, a former Chicago Teachers Union organizer, has clashed with Martinez, including over how best to close gaps in the district’s nearly $10 billion budget. Martinez has declined to resign, citing the need for stability in the district.
Rather than step into the fray, all seven members announced their resignations on Friday — a stunning move during the tenure of a mayor who has touted his experience with schools and education equity in the largely low income district. The current members, whose resignations will take effect at the end of the month, were handpicked by Johnson in 2023, months after he took office.
“I’m confident that these new candidates will work to lead CPS into the world class school system that our children deserve,” Johnson said during a news conference Monday at a South Side church led by Bishop Larry Trotter, an influential Black Chicago pastor who has praised Johnson and his efforts in education..
Many of the new appointments won’t last long, as Chicago is poised to hold its first school board elections next month, installing a 21-member hybrid board of elected and mayor-appointed members until 2027, when it will be fully elected.
The shakeup comes as contract talks between the city and the powerful teachers union have stalled. The district has offered 4% raises this year, and between 4% and 5% raises in each of the next three years, while the union has sought 9% annual raises.
After the Democratic-led Legislature rejected Johnson’s requests for more state funding earlier this year, he pitched taking out a $300 million short-term, high-interest loan to cover costs. Martinez refused, calling it fiscally irresponsible. The district has been considering furloughs and other budget cuts for the current year, though details have not been finalized.
The school board passes the roughly 325,000-student district’s budget, confirms its CEO, and approves its policies and contracts.
The new seven-person board will remain in place until a 21-person, partially elected board takes over in January.
Before the new board members were announced, protesters in the church waved signs that said “Fire Brandon” and chanted “Not Legit!” in reference to the appointments. They were led out before the mayor started speaking.
veryGood! (853)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Olympic bobsled medalist Aja Evans files lawsuit alleging sexual abuse
- Former Mississippi Democratic Party chair sues to reinstate himself, saying his ouster was improper
- U.N. warns Libya could face second devastating crisis if disease spreads in decimated Derna
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- As Ozempic use grows, so do reports of possible mental health side effects
- Man dies after swarm of bees attacks him on porch of his own home
- Apple iOS 17: What it offers and how to get it
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 'The Continental from the World of John Wick' review: 1970s prequel is a killer misfire
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Officer said girl, 11, being solicited by adult could be charged with child porn, video shows
- 9 deputies indicted in death of Black inmate who was violently beaten in Memphis jail
- 'A deadly predator': 2nd yellow-legged hornet nest, murder hornet's relative, found in GA
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- U.S. offers nearly half-a-million Venezuelan migrants legal status and work permits following demands from strained cities
- Sacramento prosecutor sues city over failure to clean up homeless encampments
- In chic Soho, a Hindu temple offers itself as a spiritual oasis
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Search for murder suspect mistakenly freed from jail expands to more cities
Angus Cloud died from accidental overdose, coroner's office says
Who are Rupert Murdoch’s children? What to know about the media magnate’s successor and family
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
96-year-old federal judge suspended from hearing cases after concerns about her fitness
The former head of a Florida domestic abuse agency has been charged with fraud and grand theft
Raiders' Chandler Jones placed on non-football injury list over 'personal issue,' per reports