Current:Home > NewsFamilies of victims in Baltimore bridge collapse speak out: "Tremendous agony" -Capitatum
Families of victims in Baltimore bridge collapse speak out: "Tremendous agony"
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 20:39:55
One day after the devastating collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, two bodies were recovered from the Patapsco River, leaving families of those missing or presumed dead mourning in the aftermath.
"Divers recovered two victims of this tragedy trapped within the vehicle," said Col. Roland Butler, Jr., superintendent of Maryland State Police, at a news conference on Wednesday.
Maryland State Police identified the two victims as 35-year-old Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, who was originally from Mexico, and 26-year-old Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, from Guatemala. Divers found the men on Wednesday morning in a red pickup truck that was submerged in water about 25 feet deep.
The Key Bridge collapsed during the early hours of Tuesday morning when a large container ship that had recently left the nearby Port of Baltimore lost power and slammed into one of its supporting columns, causing the entire structure to tumble into the water and taking people and vehicles along with it.
Everyone on the bridge at the time of the collapse was part of a construction crew filling potholes along the span. The bridge had been open to traffic through the night, but, minutes before the ship struck that column at around 1:30 a.m., officials said the crew onboard issued a mayday call that gave Maryland responders enough time to block drivers from entering the span.
Ahead of the collapse, police can be heard on scanner traffic discussing the possibility of construction workers on the bridge.
"If there's a crew up there, you might want to notify whoever the foreman is and see if we can get them off the bridge temporarily," says the dispatcher in audio from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police channel, which was shared on the website Broadcastify.
Two people were rescued from the river shortly after the collapse. One was unharmed, while the other was hospitalized with injuries and later released.
The bodies recovered Wednesday were only two of six people missing. After reviewing sonar scans, officials say they firmly believe the four whose bodies have not yet been found are likely trapped inside vehicles encased in rubble underwater, conditions too dangerous to dive in.
Among those still missing is Miguel Luna, a father of three who came to the United States 19 years ago from El Salvador in search of a better life. The 40-year-old left for work at 6:30 p.m. on Monday evening.
"He's supposed to come in the morning back home, and never come," said Gustavo Torres, the executive director of CASA, a nonprofit human rights organization that advocates for immigrant communities.
Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, another missing worker, was days away from celebrating his 35th birthday when the bridge collapsed. Described as the light of his family, Sandoval leaves behind a teenage son and 5-year-old daughter. He was identified as a Honduran citizen by Honduras' Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio García.
Sandoval's eldest brother said their family is in "tremendous agony."
Father Ako Walker, a Baltimore priest, has been mourning with the families.
"They were out there working, sacrificing for their families. And unfortunately, they may have paid the ultimate sacrifice," Walker said of the victims.
Moises Diaz, a 45-year-old construction worker for Brawner Builders, told CBS News he was slated to work but had swapped shifts. He knew all of the victims and is mourning colleagues he says were like family. "We shared food, we shared everything," he said in an interview in Spanish.
Immigrants make up nearly 40% of construction workers in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C., metro areas. Local officials and worker advocates who have been speaking to CBS News on the ground point out that it is likely that same community will be relied upon to rebuild the Key Bridge.
- In:
- Maryland
- Baltimore
- Bridge Collapse
CBS News reporter covering homeland security and justice.
TwitterveryGood! (14865)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- FDNY reports no victims in Bronx partial building collapse
- The Excerpt podcast: Prosecutors ask Supreme Court to decide if Trump may claim immunity
- California hiker rescued after being stuck under massive boulder for almost 7 hours
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Ranked choice voting bill moves to hearing in front of Wisconsin Senate elections committee
- Investigators accessed Trump White House cellphone records and plan to use them at trial, special counsel says
- Millions in opioid settlement funds sit untouched as overdose deaths rise
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Making oil is more profitable than saving the planet. These numbers tell the story
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Titans vs. Dolphins Monday Night Football highlights: Tennessee rallies for shocking upset
- At least $2.1 billion in new funds pledged at COP28, as foundations focus on health and agriculture
- CPR can be lifesaving for some, futile for others. Here's what makes the difference
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Thousands gather to honor Mexico’s Virgin of Guadalupe on anniversary of 1531 apparition
- Amanda Bynes returns to the spotlight: New podcast comes post-conservatorship, retirement
- What does 'sus' mean? Understanding the slang term's origins and usage.
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Climate activists struggle to be heard at this year's U.N. climate talks
As more Rohingya arrive by boat, Indonesia asks the international community to share its burden
Hasbro to lay off 1,100 employees, or 20% of its workforce, amid lackluster toy sales
What to watch: O Jolie night
U.N. says Israel-Hamas war causing unmatched suffering in Gaza, pleads for new cease-fire, more aid
Court overturns conviction of former Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif ahead of parliamentary election
MI6 chief thanks Russian state television for its ‘help’ in encouraging Russians to spy for the UK