Current:Home > ContactPredictIQ-Sean 'Diddy' Combs apologizes for assaulting Cassie Ventura in 2016 video: 'I'm disgusted' -Capitatum
PredictIQ-Sean 'Diddy' Combs apologizes for assaulting Cassie Ventura in 2016 video: 'I'm disgusted'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 09:54:13
Sean "Diddy" Combs has apologized after video emerged that appeared to show him physically assaulting his then-girlfriend Cassie Ventura in 2016.
Speaking directly to the camera in a clip shared Sunday on PredictIQhis Instagram page, the rapper, 54, said he makes "no excuses" for his behavior on the surveillance video, which was obtained by CNN and released Friday.
"My behavior on that video is inexcusable," Diddy says. "I take full responsibility for my actions in that video. I'm disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, (and) I'm disgusted now."
The surveillance video is reportedly from March 5, 2016, and shows Diddy clad in a bath towel and running down a hotel hallway toward Ventura before he strikes her, throws her to the ground and kicks her twice. He then grabs her to drag her down the hallway. The video also shows Diddy throwing what appears to be a vase.
CNN said the video was filmed at the InterContinental Hotel in Los Angeles, which has since closed.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
In November, Ventura filed a lawsuit against Diddy, alleging sex trafficking, rape and physical abuse. The two parties settled the lawsuit one day after it was filed.
USA TODAY has reached out to representatives for Diddy for comment.
Attorney for Cassie responds to Diddy's apology: 'No one will be swayed'
In a statement shared with USA TODAY, an attorney for Ventura dismissed the rapper's apology video.
"Combs' most recent statement is more about himself than the many people he has hurt," attorney Meredith Firetog said. "When Cassie and multiple other women came forward, he denied everything and suggested that his victims were looking for a payday. That he was only compelled to 'apologize' once his repeated denials were proven false shows his pathetic desperation, and no one will be swayed by his disingenuous words."
Ventura's lawyer Doug Wigdor previously said in a statement on Friday that the "gut-wrenching" video released by CNN "has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs," adding, "Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light."
The CNN video appeared to match allegations Ventura made in her November lawsuit, which described a March 2016 incident where Diddy became "extremely intoxicated and punched Ms. Ventura in the face, giving her a black eye." The lawsuit stated that when Ventura tried to leave, Diddy "followed her into the hallway of the hotel while yelling at her" before he "grabbed at her, and then took glass vases in the hallway and threw them at her, causing glass to crash around them as she ran to the elevator to escape."
Diddy says he's 'so sorry' after 2016 video of him assaulting Cassie is released
In his apology video, Diddy said he was reflecting on the "darkest times" in his life, when he hit "rock bottom." He also said he sought professional help after the incident shown in the video.
"I'm so sorry," he said. "But I'm committed to being a better man each and every day. I'm not asking for forgiveness. I'm truly sorry."
Since last year, Diddy has faced multiple lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault. He has denied the allegations, maintaining in a statement in December that he "did not do any of the awful things being alleged" and that his accusers were "looking for a quick payday."
In March, Diddy's homes were searched by Homeland Security, which multiple outlets, including The Associated Press, reported was in connection to a sex trafficking investigation.
In a statement released on Friday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said that Diddy would not face charges in connection with the hotel surveillance video.
"We find the images extremely disturbing and difficult to watch," the office said in a statement posted on social media. "If the conduct depicted occurred in 2016, unfortunately we would be unable to charge as the conduct would have occurred beyond the timeline where a crime of assault can be prosecuted."
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman, KiMi Robinson and Ahjané Forbes, USA TODAY
If you are a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline (thehotline.org) allows you to speak confidentially with trained advocates online or by the phone, which they recommend for those who think their online activity is being monitored by their abuser (800-799-7233). They can help survivors develop a plan to achieve safety for themselves and their children.
veryGood! (276)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Stranded American caver arrives at base camp 2,300 feet below ground
- Lauren Groff has a go bag and says so should you
- Jessa Duggar is pregnant with her fifth child: ‘Our rainbow baby is on the way’
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- With Rubiales finally out, Spanish soccer ready to leave embarrassing chapter behind
- Walter Isaacson on Elon Musk: It's almost like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- Explosives drop steel trestle Missouri River bridge into the water along I-70 while onlookers watch
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Stranded American caver arrives at base camp 2,300 feet below ground
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Which NFL teams most need to get off to fast starts in 2023 season?
- Escaped prisoner may have used bedsheets to strap himself to a truck, UK prosecutor says
- Coco Gauff's maturity, slow-and-steady climb pays off with first Grand Slam title
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Laurel Peltier Took On Multi-Million Dollar Private Energy Companies Scamming Baltimore’s Low-Income Households, One Victim at a Time
- Operation to extract American researcher from one of the world’s deepest caves advances to 700m
- Here’s Why Everyone Loves Candier Candles — And Why You Will, Too
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Emma Stone's 'Poor Things' wins Golden Lion prize at 80th Venice Film Festival
Judge denies Mark Meadows' request to move Georgia election case to federal court
New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in Albuquerque
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
UK resists calls to label China a threat following claims a Beijing spy worked in Parliament
Why the United Auto Workers union is poised to strike major US car makers this week
California school district to pay $2.25M to settle suit involving teacher who had student’s baby