Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Drew Barrymore says she will pause the return of her talk show "until the strike is over" -Capitatum
Surpassing:Drew Barrymore says she will pause the return of her talk show "until the strike is over"
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 09:07:21
Drew Barrymore announced on SurpassingSunday her decision to halt the upcoming season premiere of her namesake daytime talk series, "The Drew Barrymore Show," a reversal that answered to mounting backlash over Barrymore's initial plans to return to the show despite the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.
"I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show's premiere until the strike is over," Barrymore said in an Instagram post shared on Sunday morning.
"I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today," she continued. "We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
Barrymore drew criticism from members of the writers and actors guilds last week, when she initially announced her decision to move ahead with the talk show's scheduled fourth season premiere date on Sept. 18. She said at the time that her talk show would comply with the rules of the strike.
"I own this choice," Barrymore wrote on Instagram on Sunday, Sept. 10. "We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind." That post has now been removed from the social media site.
In the wake of Barrymore at first announcing she would return to the series as planned, members of WGA and SAG-AFTRA picketed outside of the studio where filming takes place for "The Drew Barrymore Show," at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York City. Meanwhile, the National Book Foundation rescinded Barrymore's invitation to host the 74th annual National Book Awards ceremony.
The writer's guild tweeted Sunday that "any writing" on Barrymore's show "violates WGA strike rules."
"The Drew Barrymore Show is a WGA-covered, struck show that is planning to return without its writers," the tweet read. "The Guild has and will continue to, picket-struck shows that are in production during the strike."
A spokesperson for CBS Media Ventures said in a statement, "The Drew Barrymore Show will not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike."
Members of the Writer's Guild of America went on strike in May amid ongoing negotiations for a new contract that meets their demands for better compensation, increased residuals for streaming content and regulations regarding the use of artificial intelligence. SAG-AFTRA, the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, joined the strike in July.
Paramount+ and CBS News and Stations are part of Paramount Global, one of the companies affected by the strike. Some CBS News staff are WGA and SAG-AFTRA members but work under different contracts than the writers and actors who are on strike.
—Gina Martinez and S. Dev contributed reporting.
- In:
- Drew Barrymore
- Writers Guild of America
- Screen Actors Guild
- Strike
- Drew Barrymore Show
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Who has the most Oscars of all time? Academy Awards records that made history
- Kate Middleton Breaks Silence on Edited Family Photo Controversy
- How soon will the Fed cut interest rates? Inflation report this week could help set timing
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Jamie Lee Curtis was In-N-Out of the Oscars, left early for a burger after presenting award
- 50-foot sperm whale beached on sandbar off coast of Venice, Florida
- Charlize Theron Has Best Reaction to Guillermo's Tequila Shoutout at 2024 Oscars
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Kate Middleton's New Picture Pulled From Photo Agencies for Being Manipulated
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Robert Downey Jr. Credits His Terrible Childhood for First Oscar Win
- At least 19 dead, 7 missing as flash floods and landslide hit Indonesia's Sumatra island
- Breaking glass ceilings: the women seizing opportunities in automotive engineering
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- See Emma Stone, Margot Robbie and More Stars' Fashion Transformations for Oscars 2024 After-Parties
- Matt Damon's Walk of Fame star peed on by dog Messi, picking a side in Jimmy Kimmel feud
- Which NFL team has the most salary cap space? What to know ahead of NFL free agency
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Meg Ryan Stuns in Rare Red Carpet Moment at Vanity Fair 2024 Oscars After-Party
Emma Stone Has Wardrobe Malfunction While Accepting Best Actress Award at 2024 Oscars
Jimmy Kimmel calls out Greta Gerwig's Oscars snub, skewers 'Madame Web' in opening monologue
Travis Hunter, the 2
Sean Ono Lennon wishes mom Yoko Ono a happy Mother's Day at the Oscars
‘Oppenheimer’ crew keeps it low key, other winners revel at Vanity Fair’s Oscar after-party
North Carolina, Kentucky headline winners and losers from men's basketball weekend